Thursday, November 3, 2016

Eric Kandel on Charlie Rose - Poem: Visit to the Rothko Chapel in Houston, Texas


Image result for eric kandel
I adore this guy.

Let's learn a bit about him.

Born in 1929 in Vienna, he's 86 years old.

He appeared on Charlie Rose on Friday 10/28/2016.

Nobel Laureate Eric Kandel discusses his latest book, "Reductionism  in Art and Brain Science: Bridging the Two Cultures.

Watch it here.

It's all about creativity and the joy we get in being creative and being original.

I'm gonna put myself on the spot right now and write a quick poem. He discusses Mark Rothko and when I was married and lived in Houston, TX, I did indeed visit the Rothko Chapel.

A VISIT TO THE ROTHKO CHAPEL IN HOUSTON TEXAS

Jackie Smith and I visited the Chapel on our lunch hour.
She was a drunkard despised by her family
I was a novice who wished to learn about art.

She began gulping with laughter when we walked inside
I gently punched her in the arm to make her shut up
while I found myself a bench across the room

And stared and stared
My eyes filled with tears
at the somber colors

The purples, reds, and blacks
If it's any comfort to Rothko
who took his own life

I was tempted many times
but never followed through
and loved Jackie Smith

more than she ever knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment