Thursday, April 4, 2013

Some of my favorite people! - Joe Moore - and the Folks at Polished Salon in Hatboro, PA - Cream of Cauliflower Soup

Once a year I drive over to Gerhard Appliances in Glenside, PA to see my friend Joe Moore.
When I arrived Argyle Joe was helping a man and wife choose a dishwasher. Joe thinks a lot of the Kitchen Aide brand, like this refrigerator he's leaning on that sells for 5 grand!

For my 58th b'day, my kids bought me a Maytag at the very same store

Joe bought a Mental Health Awareness magnet and will put it on his car.

I told him about my TV set. Sometimes when I watch TV a BLACK PATCH fills the bottom half of the screen.

"Get a new one, Ruth," said Joe. "I'll take care of you."

I noticed that new TVs are relatively cheap - a couple hundred bucks.

Joe's son Joey was our first webmaster. Joey's passion was always to be a weather man.

"He used to dress up as a weatherman for Halloween when he was only five," Joe said.

Now Joey lives in Kansas City, works for the government, and predicts the weather.

Hmmm, how many people are there who carry out their dreams since they were little kids?

Think back, Reader, what did you wanna be?

My list: Movie star, nurse, and by fourth grade I wanted to be a heart surgeon b/c of a Time Magazine article, where a surgeon was on the cover, and the photos inside illustrated heart surgery in green scrubs.

When my Uncle Marvin let me keep the issue, I was in ecstasy!

This morning, looking at my chipped nails, I was determined to get them polished, so I called and made an appointment with Tony, co-owner of Polished Salon in Hatboro, PA.

My nails look great!


Hot pink.

And so do my toes !

Can't wait till my sister Ellen reads this blog post. She's the one who turned me onto "Polished," formerly named "Pink."

Since Sondra wasn't there to do my nails, her friend Tia did them. This beautiful, talented woman hails from Cambodia and Vietnam. She has four sons - ranging in age from 15 to 3 years old. Their names all begin with the letter "A."

Tia talked me into getting a pedicure for my winter-weary feet.

Wow, did that soothing whirling foot bath ever feel good.

I told Tia when my daughter Sarah comes to visit to see her new nephew, I'll have her get a pedicure at Polished.

Tia ministering to my feet, which are now quite beautiful! A bargain, I thought, for $28 plus tip.

Along with Tony, Glenn Wagner is co-owner of the shop. He also has a greeting card company.

Amy is my favorite hair stylist.

 Nicole DemingThis, ladies and gentlemen, is my new grandson, Max Atticus Deming, born April 1, 2013.

I never thought of writing a poem about him but someone in my support group said, "I know you'll write a poem about him."

So, before I left for my nail appointment, I made sure I wrote the first draft of the poem, which ain't half bad. You simply never know what's gonna come out of you.

My friend Larry Kirschner, said wife Helen, made a delicious cauliflower soup with unsweeted almond milk and curry power.

Some of the ingredients are above. I decided to grate some orange rind into it. The only seasonings I used were curry powder and turmeric, accounting for the lovely color of the soup.

The toasted sunflower seeds on top are a brilliant addition!

2 comments:

  1. I have only recently discovered manicures and pedicures myself, as a new way and treat to take care of myself...a lesson I was very late in learning and try hard to teach others (women in particular). Glad you are doing this sometimes too.

    This soup looks yummy. I am into making shakes with fruits, veggies and almond milk myself right now, so have plenty of almond milk on hand. Am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it's an inexpensive way to pamper yourself. i chipped part of my thumbnail - quelle horreurs! - and went back to see Tia who had two customers for pedicures - we are rooting for this place to 'take off' so that was good - and she simply painted more 'hot pink' into my nails. thanks for checking in, iris!

    ReplyDelete