Saturday, July 21, 2012

For sale: The Norman Fisher House in Hatboro, PA, designed by the legendary Louis Kahn


I spoke to the realtor, Deb, of Elfant Wissahickon-Chestnut Hill and she emailed me photos of the house.

 Rear of the house facing a tributary of Pennypack Creek. Total of 2.69 acres.

Architect Louis Kahn (1901-1974) was born Itze-Leib Schmuilowsky in Estonia, near Russia. He taught at Penn and was the subject of his son's film, "My Architect," an attempt by the son to understand his quirky late father.

Another legendary architect Frank Gehry (b. 1929) was born in Canada and named Frank Goldberg.

 The Fishers once walked down these wooden halls. Can you hear the patter of their feet?

All the furniture is gone, but I'll have a seat facing the woods, thanks.

On second thot, maybe I'll sit on the Kahn-designed bench (cushions removed) and contemplate the stone fireplace.

Reminds me of Shofuso, Japanese Teahouse in Fairmount Park. Odds are that Kahn saw it too.

My friend Lin Yiu and I peeked in from outside at this door.

A kitchen is a kitchen is a kitchen. But what's the floor made of?

Front of house on Mill Road. Gravel drive! When I drove over to ask Doris if New Directions could visit, she and Norman's cars were parked in a little jut on the driveway.

Norman had a workshop in the basement. Rich Fleisher was very impressed.

 Wonder if the creek ever floods. The house is located a good way beyond the crick, but who knows?

Side view with the door Yin and I peeked thru. Look how the house is lit up, light filtering through the trees.

 Inground pool.

One unforgettable winter day, when my kids and I lived across the street in Village Green Apartments

the Pennypack Creek froze and we walked across it. Skated across it actually tho we were wearing boots. That's where I discovered the glorious backside of the house.

For an Art Matters article I wrote about sculptor Robinson Fredenthal, who studied with Louis Kahn at Penn, showed me the Fisher House. "I know that house," I told him. "Didn't know it was famous, tho."

 One of Robin's geometric shapes on Market Street, downtown Philly. I visited it several years ago. The wheelchair- bound Fredenthal died several years ago at 69. He had Parkinson's disease since his late 20s.


Looks like a ceramic tile bathroom floor. Look at the faucets!

Would you buy this house if you had $600,000?

No comments:

Post a Comment