Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Party Time! Submitting my poetry on time

Thanks for the ride to Barb's house, Frankie! You can see the mezuza on my doorpost, nailed on by my late neighbor Bill. 

I'm always happy to ask for help. People like helping others.  It brings people together in this often-hostile chaotic world of ours.

I told Frank that Queen Ruthie only rides in Caddies, Lincolns or Shelby Cobras. To my surprise, Frank told me he met Shelby, who died the other day.

A gentle rain fell as we drove to Barb's condominium.

Our guests cheered us on. We were a bit late.



Hello Bart! Barbara asked all of us to remove our shoes and wear sandals placed at the door. Sayonara!

Here are Bob and Lyz sitting temptingly near the or-derves. I bought unsalted pistachios plus a bowl to throw the shells in.

Here's our hostess Barbara.

We always picture what other people's homes are like and then when we see them, they look nothing like in our imagination.

Take a moment, now, Dear Reader, to review the wonders of our Minds! See how it's thinking of different homes we've been in. Par example, I'm gonna go to my son Dan's when the timer rings, to see Grace before he puts her to sleep.

"Mom-mom" has flown to LA this morning, so Dan has taken a week off work to be with his little girl.


Everyone brought a dish, even tho everyone at the party was quite a dish themselves.

Lyz, a vegetarian, brought an exquisite quinoa dish.

Bart brot delicious Duncan Hines brownies w powdered sugar on top. How did I know they were so good? This insulin-dependent diabetic had three of em, knowing that when I went home, I would get on my exercise bike for 20 miserable minutes.

I particularly enjoyed the hot mashed potatoes and the succulent turkey breast. Barbara's table was furnished with foods from Wegman's.


Darn! I forgot to take a pic of Sandy of the Glorious Smile.

Bob brot us delicious eggplant parm he made.

Before we left I read my poem: Debris on the Side of the Road. I got high praise from my son/law Ethan Iverson who said he liked it! He and The Bad Plus are playing in Spain.

AND, I'm listening to Sketches of Spain right now by Miles Davis AND my timer went off, so I'm going off to Abington, for some good kisses with Grace.


So, I just learned that the Alaska Quarterly Review had a deadline to submit fiction and poetry by May 15, which is today.

Unlike most places, they wanted a hard copy of your manuscripts. I printed out my poems and short stories, took em to the Bryn Athyn post office, and for $33, was guaranteed they'd get to AK by 3 pm today.

Maria, postmistress, knows her stuff.

Send your good thoughts that I get published.



1 comment:

  1. In India, you must leave even your sandals outside the door. Bare feet are best, stocking feet accepted.

    The last AQR included one of my photos.

    I tell you, you poets have some wild parties.

    How much total did you have to spend on bail?

    ReplyDelete