Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New Directions hosts Shimon Waldfogel, MD

Waldfogel was trained in Israel -  Ben Gurion University of the Negev - which is probly where he got a different approach to psychiatry than here in the USA where we have the "medical model."

He said he does not pathologize illness but works on a salubrious model instead, emphasizing how to live in a healthy way. In fact, during his entire talk, he never used the word "patient," which suggests an authoritarian position to the people he serves.

Instead, he'd say "I saw a woman...or a couple."

His 45-min talk, with Q & A, was so fascinating, I lost track of the time, so our small groups had to hustle to discuss their challenges (I often use this kinder word than problems.)


Wrap-up of his talk:

- Someone complained about their POOR MEMORY.

- The old tricylics, said W, definitely have a bad effect on the memory. He suggested using newer meds like Welbutrin instead.

- Importance of sleep. Most everyone gets tired after a heavy meal. To wake up, go for a walk, or have a caffeine drink.

- Go for a 20-minute walk at least 3 times a week. It gets the blood flowing thruout your body, including the brain.

- Waldfogel has "judiciously" prescribed stimulants to help people preserve their jobs.

Yikes! I think I prescribed a little too much!

DIET is important. Don't eat too much red meat. Some folks also do better on a gluten-free diet.

Go on a NEWS FAST. The news is downright depressing, as every TV watcher knows, tho they continue watching.

I said I watch PBS news. Waldfogel does too, he said, and mentioned the downfall of the Greek economy.

I watched that, too, I said, on my exercise bike.

DON'T ALLOW NEGATIVE ENERGY TO SOP UP YOUR POSITIVE ENERGY.

GOOD MUSIC. Always a pleasure. Am listening now to The Bad Plus, one of my fave jazz bands, along with Miles and Coltrane and Keith Jarrett and Ornette. I went bonkers when B&N had a half-price sale on jazz.

BE A PART OF A SOCIAL COMMUNITY.  Yes!  The more the better. People w/bipolar disorder often have difficulty fitting in so our group offers many social excursions, the better to fit in, my dears!

At the beginning of our meeting, Sandy announced she's leading a hike at Valley Forge National Park this Sunday. I'm not going cuz my library has an excellent movie but of course I'm too shy to p'pate in the discussion.

SPIRITUALITY.  Many people in our group attend services at churches or synagogues. Judy, who has a master's in library science, volunteers at Beth Shalom - the Frank Lloyd Wright shul. She reorganized their library and now reads to toddlers. 

She and her mom came to the meeting. Here's Blanche, not to be confused w Blanche DuBois:



Beth Shalom on York Road in Elkins Park PA. I used to go on tours with the late Bob Weil.

As far as my Judaism goes, I have a mezuzah on my front door.

WHEN YOU FEEL PART OF EVERYTHING, IT HELPS YOU THRIVE, said Waldfogel.

He suggested we go online and listen to Sherwin Nuland, a retired Yale surgeon. I had listened to his audio book "How We Die," after I lost my dad when he was 59, a casualty of too many unLucky Strikes.

 Sherwin Nuland, b. 1930.

Nuland (nee  Nudelman) was once so depressed he lost all hope of ever practicing surgery again. He saw top psychiatrists who couldn't fix him, so they were gonna perform a lobotomy!

Then his treating resident suggested ECT (electroshock therapy) which worked and changed his life.

And Nuland changed the lives of thousands of people!
Here's Sherwin Nuland's video.



No comments:

Post a Comment