Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Few Words About Coffee and Why I Went Off when I had manic-depression

Thank you Claire for bringing me this delicious bag of hazelnut-flavored coffee beans...organic yet!

I drank it from my new favorite mug: clear glass w/a wolf howling at the moon. Easy to clean and it doesn't stain.

Here's the story of why I gave up coffee.

I had bipolar disorder at the time. Went off the lithium cuz it was damaging my kidneys, tried Lamictal which revved me into mania, went off that and was on NOTHING except for 1/2 mg Klonopin before bed.

You better believe I was noivous! I was a certified manic-depressive and never failed to take meds since I was diagnosed at age 38. I didn't wanna end up in four-point restraints again in Norristown, PA.

But, the illness wasn't coming back! Months passed and I was fine. Doubtful the Klonopin was holding me, so I decided to wean off with the help of a psychiatrist friend.

First, tho, to test my resolve, I decided to quit coffee, though I loved it dearly and began drinking it as a high school senior, just for fun, not for necessity as adults do.

Cream and sugar, please.

I cold-turkeyed off the coffee in three days. Slight headache.

Then I was ready for the Klonopin withdrawal. I believe it took three weeks, which is amazing, b/c some people find it so difficult to go off.

Now I drink coffee upon occasion. Decaf always. Black like the night sky.

Last nite I went over to B&N


and went into the Starbux cafe. I gave my mom/law's phone no. to get a 10 percent discount and told the plump barista who did not wear a name tag to bag it for me.

Then I walked to my car which was parked five minutes away at the library, placed it on the floor and drove home. At some point, the bag tipped over on the floor and I could smell the spilt coffee on the floor.

I lifted it up onto the passenger seat and practically the whole thing spilled on the seat.

I put my flashers on and pulled over on Davisville Road.

I had an inch and a half of coffee left.

Good!

When I got home, I boiled water and had a delicious cup of decaf!





No comments:

Post a Comment