Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Guest Column in the Intelligencer about Partial Victory at Creekwood - Assert Thyself - Poem: Straight Up Fearlessly Into the Night


 Always give em a pretty picture to entice them in. This is by a Magnum photographer.

Read my article here.

I write these columns b/c:

- I love to write and feel incomplete when I'm not working on something, like now!

- I like to help educate the public about bipolar disorder to try and dispel stigma.

Did you know there's another meaning of the word 'stigma' thanks to my friend Bob, a former biology teacher.



Due to space considerations, many points were omitted. But Alan Kerr always does a great job of editing.

I gave him a choice of two photos to use, one taken by my construction guy, Dave Small.


 Instead, Alan chose this one, which is my Facebook photo:


This morning I went to Quest Diag to get blood drawn. The two phlebotomists are Alice and Betty. Fake names.

Last time I was there, Alice could not find my vein and kept sticking me. It was horrendous.

She again was the one to draw my blood but I requested Betty.

Betty came in, apologized for Alice, stuck me once, I didn't feel a thing, and was outa there in two seconds, pulling off the bandaid in the car and swallowing it whole.

In honor of my article, lemme publish one of my many poems.

Below is house of Martin LeBur - who he?


STRAIGHT UP FEARLESSLY INTO THE NIGHT


On the occasion of visiting the Horsham PA home of Lillian Higgins, July 3, 2006

I'm a house
sloped like a woman
My strong legs the casement
toes pressing concrete
for more than a century
a female Atlas
shouldering the world.

I'm a house
and listen
in silence
to the lives of the hundreds
whose whispers
still dwell within.

Like the elm at my elbow,
I know all.
But say nothing.

Many tenants too busy
to see me,
they dream their useless
lives away,
drifters on the rivers of time
whose lonely lives
walk the stairwells
while down the highway
once horse-trod dirt
now two-laned pavement
striped by an endless
yellow line,
the cancered, the tumored, the legless
the blind
would change places
if only they could.

Lightning strikes
my cantata breasts of
endless romminess.
I hold firm
my tenants
nursing them equally
Mine to posses
till their tenure is
done.

My towers and turrets
beam eyes that are
windows
flirting with
tunderstorms
booming like warm drums
testing my strength.

I am more than a century
but fail not my tenants
who stare from their
beds at lonesome ceiling fans.

Under moonshadows
I preside
over lovers
over readers
over stillbirths
over drug overdoses
over water drawn from
the well;
I'm a church
a confessional
a brothel
a table spread with wine.

I stand
toes like a pea-hen
squawking in silence
o'er my brood
until the wrecker's ball
wrecks me,

Fearlessly I rise again
into the night,
hips catching
fireflies.   





3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth. I haven't forgotten you. Sometimes, when I get into a big project, like I have been into Return to India series, I reach a point where I must retreat from just about everything else, or I will never get it done.

    It will be done. Then I will need some rest. Then I will be back.

    I didn't read the poem tonight. My brain is just too dull right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes...The true poet finds inspiration everywhere, as do you. Love the lines..
    "Lightning strikes
    my cantata breasts of
    endless romminess.
    I hold firm
    my tenants
    nursing them equally
    Mine to posses
    till their tenure is
    done."
    and so many more..
    "I stand
    toes like a pea-hen
    squawking in silence
    o'er my brood
    until the wrecker's ball
    wrecks me,"

    I love old houses and the one in the photo looks wonderful,. Mine was built in 1851, still retaining some of the original charm and style but also modernized, since it often takes wealthy folk to restore old homes. I love to imagine what goes on/went on in houses I pass by, when they have character like the old ones. You have set my imagination loose with this poem, which I like much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your house is super-beautiful, you've sent me fotos. didn't know it was built before the civil war! (just realized 'civil' is an unapt term. how can a war be civil?)

    like u, i love looking in windows and if there are people in there, so much the better. i've wrin many 'house' poems including 'houses on the corner' which i gave to a neighbor cuz i wanted to be invited in - and was!!!

    ReplyDelete