Friday, October 7, 2011

Helen, in answer to your question of what I'm reading / Poem: There you are, Lisa!

The book in the middle "Remarkable Creatures" by Sean Carroll was the featured book in the Upper Moreland Book Discussion group.

We thanked librarian Adam for this most unusual selection. We usually read novels.

I wrote a long post but Google is goggled so I'll simply re-type the poem I read at Lisa Lowe-Weil's funeral.

My Wall of Fame in my living room office. On left is an ad for Lucky Strikes Means Fine Tobacco - LSMFT - or Lucky Strikes Mean Funeral Time. It killed my dad.

THERE YOU ARE LISA!

Valiant
fighting
unstoppable
life loving
dog loving
Bob loving

That's our Lisa Lowe Weil

See her now? Upon the beach?
Tow-headed girl in butterly
bathing suit
A dog runs by
Cocker spaniel with
long loose ears

Mama!
I want one
I want one

Tender Lovin' Clipper
her dog grooming salon
A Florence Nightingale
The dogs were her
sons and her daughters

So much to do in this
short life
laughter
tales to be told
trips with Bob

Remember the cruise to Alaska?
Grizzlies they saw
roaming off the postcards
glimpsed by bus

Fifty-five,
she left too soon
Damn this rehab center
I want to go home

Home to Chalfont where Bob is
and remembrance of all the
people and dogs who loved her

She's home now
Home from the struggles and
her wheelchair legs
Brave Lisa gets a Purple Heart
a medallion covering
her own broken heart
Love like Lisa and
pray for her Bob.

2 comments:

  1. From Coach Iris:
    This is a very nice tribute, the poem you wrote about Lisa. I did not know her, of course, but hope her family finds it a good tribute, as well. I am so very sorry she died. I love your individualistic observations and insights about people and how they wend their way into your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's really frustrating, Isis, is that I wrote all about the funeral and it disappeared - unusual for goggle - unlike the comments you and a few others post, which disappear.

    I wrote about how I conducted the service at Fleuhr Funeral Home in New Britain, PA.

    Alas!

    ReplyDelete