Sunday, October 30, 2011

Granny comes to visit and the snow greets her- Sarah and I work on our memoir - Family Lore engenders different interpretations

Guess who stopped by? Google won't let me successfully move this photo where it belongs.

Google is having some problems. If I'm unable to get back on here, I'll fix mistakes later.


Thanks, Sarah, for shoveling our first snowfall of the season. My shrubs and a couple of tree limbs took a walloping. I've gotta call PECO. A branch of the maple tree fell on a wire.

The lamp post has shed her garments.

Gotta find somewhere else to eat my eggs for breakfast.

Sarah had a terrible allergic reaction to Dan's three cats and also my house, stuffy, b/c we couldn't open windows due to freezing-cold weather.

Every time I would go outdoors I was surprised anew by how cold it was.

We went over to the Giant to get her some allergy tabs and consulted with Bob Matza, head pharmacist. We were also gonna work on our Kidney Memoir in the Giant coffeeshop, so she brot her laptop along.

Bob suggested she take the antihistamine Benedryl. We bought it and then she left for the Coffeeshop to take the pill, which helped considerably!

"Bob," I said, after she left. "Guess what side effect I got from taking Cipro?"

"Not Achilles tendonitis!" he said.

"No," thank god I don't have that. "I've gotten psychotic a couple of times when I go to bed and close my eyes. Things or people come out and attack me. But then I fall asleep and I'm okay." Naturally I fantasized about becoming manic-depressive again.


Bob well knew about the psychosis - and other 'nervous' symptoms' people get - but he said Cipro is the very best antibiotic for my UTI condition.

We began talking meds. He said the Johnson and Johnson facility around here has been in serious trouble for producing sub-standard products which are downright dangerous to the patient. THIS, right here in the US, not China. Metal pieces found within the pills, a result of the old machinery disintegrating right into the pills. Motto of J&J: Why replace old machinery? Let's save precious money and time by ignoring safety standards.


Sarah and I sat down side by side and began working on our kidney memoir. One chapter is by her, the next by me. We finished our entire outline in about an hour.



"Bill Babb!" I called out as a fellow from my Acrylic Painting Class walked toward us. "I was actually thinking about you this morning."


Goggle won't let me put Bill's pic here or even on the top of the page. Hopefully, I can do it later. Great photo of Bill in sweater eating Giant's beef stew and carrots.



What I was thinking was, "I wonder when I'll see Bill Babb again!" From Abington, Bill shops here at our fabulous Giant. He had met Sarah before in the milk aisle.

Turns out, Bill, a retired engineer, was working in the very same J&J plant that had the metal in the pills. His job is to approve every batch of pills that is released to the public. He is perceived as a 'bad guy' b/c he was doing the right thing.

The pause that refreshes. Now I'm going into the kitchen to prepare the cocktail shrimp for our Family Gathering later this afternoon.

Sarah and her grandmother Margie, b.1920, from Texas looking at old photos. The youngest of Margie's three boys - David - was her companion in flying her up here. Not easy, not easy. We wonder if we will see Margie again. Am sooo glad David had the courage and the know-how - and the patience - to bring her.

This photo of Margie was taken many years ago. It's your guess who's sitting next to her. And, hey, you may guess, Rob! You'll figger it out w/ your great intuition.

Another visit from my bro/law David Deming, who traveled with his brother, Mike Deming, my ex.

BTW, some of these photos are ones I've taken of old photos my mom keeps. I do not want them. Where on earth would I put them?

Dave Deming today, the single most loquacious individual I know. I learned from David a few things about my ex I'd never known. He was the top debater at Smiley High School in Houston and won some regionals. Oh, I probly knew this at one time, but, my oh my, the things we forget.


I TOOK A GREAT PHOTO of Nicole and little Grace but GOOGLE has refused five times to upload it. Ya hear that, Sergey?


Speaking of which there's a great Times article about the last hours of Steve Jobs, written by his sister, Mona Simpson, novelist and UCLA prof.



"Mom," I said. "You always were a great cook and you still are!"


Her meatloaf was the first thing I reached for. Had two helpings.

We had chicken divan in honor of Margie who gave us the recipe. Margie couldn't remember it.

Seven layer salad is a great favorite. Three helpings for me.


Brown rice on the left.

Relaxing in the living room. We moved from the kitchen, to the dining room, to the living room. David did a great job of aiding his mom throughout the house. She's got a bad heart but comes from strong Crockett, Texas stock. When I was married, I loved visiting the family. I went to her father's Masonic funeral, his name was David Millard Smith, but they called him Millard.

I asked her the names of her siblings, to jog along her memory. She was the oldest. There was Nellie, who was the first to go. Bonnie was the youngest, a lovely woman with diabetes. Evelyn Pollard. Did she have a rough voice and drive a school bus? Brother Van, who owned a gas station, and used to find watches in the center of the road and retrieve them.

And of course Aunt Mae who made baby Sarah a cheerful yellow quilt which I still have.

Mom in kitchen preparing food. The most family-minded person I know. You can't have too many pix of your 89 y-o mom.




Shall we repair to the living room and continue our conversation there? Ell, would you mind making us some coffee.


Google decided to put a photo of Dan here instead of the great living room photo.


Am just wondering if this is a result of hacking?


Okay, I'm gonna 'publish' this now. Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment