Sunday, October 16, 2011

Grace in the morning, Sally in the afternoon, Feathers in the evening

When the Demings came over, we decided to walk all around the house. Hold on, cuz I've got lotsa pix. You'll notice Grace's hair is turning lighter.

While here, her favorite things to do were: turning my CD/radio on and off, pushing all my CDs off the table, paging thru "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen, and trying to fall down the basement steps.

She has a particular love for leaves and wood chips, said mom Nicole.

She loves DAH, as she calls him. Ada's grandson Alex calls his dad DADDEM.

Okay, now we're gonna go to the movies at my library. On the way over, I thot, Oh no! What if I get a low blood sugar attack when I'm there. Where can I get some food?

Got a small hot fudge sundae at the DQ. Walked around the parking lot while eating and enjoying it. The fudge sauce ran out too soon so I went up for a squirt of the sauce, but two guys were in line. The place closes for the season next Sunday.

The 'theatre' was filled up when I got there. Before the movie ended, 90 percent of the room had filed out. You could see who wanted to leave b/c they kept watching the door, waiting for the urge to get up.

I do know the feeling but I decided to stay. Lotsa peer pressure not to disturb the other people.

"Yes" is a British film by Sally Potter. The acoustics in the room were horrible so you could barely understand the British accents and there were no subtitles.

Since I was sitting in the last row near Dr Mauriccio Giammarco, the discussion leader, I was tempted to ask him, What's this movie about?

During the discussion period, his first question was: How did you like the movie?

When no one responded for an nth of a second, I said, "I loved the movie. The person who made the film is a tremendously creative artist and I felt challenged to follow all the beautiful colorful things that were going on. But I didn't understand it."

We had a great group discussion. Mauriccio told us about filmmaker Sally Potter, who's 4 yrs younger than I am (b. 1949). See photo below of the main character in the movie: "She." All characters are unnamed. The movie is Potter's response to the horrors of 9/11. She began writing her script the very next day to counteract all the hatred - immense hatred - experienced then and now.

"She" is played by Joan Allen. The script is written in iambic pentameter: poetry. Clash of cultures and class are themes, with film ending in Cuba, whose revolution was sposed to produce a classless society.


As mentioned I sat in the last row, the only seat in the row, so I had no one to talk to. To say, "What'd she say?" I was lost in confusion and thought of a poem I might write for next week's back-to-back poetry group: The Foreign Film.

I'll tell you, tho, I'm thinking of the first foreign film I saw at the Heights Art Theater in Cleveland Heights, with my cousin Mark. Possibly that will trump "Yes" and I'll write about that.

Aren't you absolutely panting w/excitement to read it?

Newest addition to my Feather Vase is a turkey feather we found yesterday at Pennypack. It's on the extreme left. The ostrich feather in the back is when I went on a drug company junket w/ a psychiatrist friend of mine. They think of the greatest ways to bribe psychiatrists. We drove to a huge farm-resort in Bucks County which had rides for kids, beer for the grown-ups, a train ride past some animals including ostriches. The train stopped to let us gaze and I pulled some feathers from beneath the slats of the fence.

I do love my feathers. In the book Remarkable Creatures I learned that many of the huge dinosaurs had feathers. Yes, feathers!

No comments:

Post a Comment