Monday, October 17, 2011

A Fabulous Day w/ Freda and Bernie Samuels

Altho they live in Legacy Oaks in Warrington, PA, an older adult community, their house is huge! And neat! As I ascended the stairs I noticed there was no dust in that part that gathers dust, unlike at my house.

After I got my blood drawn at Quest to see how my kidneys are faring, I drove over to the Warrington home of the Samuels. It took me a good 15 mins to pack my bags for the visit.

Into my two beautiful Audubon bags I put my diabetes supplies, my Acer laptop, and my novel. My writing coach is helping me find an agent. First, tho, I've gotta write a page-long synopsis of each chapter.

Since it's loosely based on my former BF, Simon, who died of a brain tumor, it makes me sad to re-read it. But so much of it is fiction that I begin to believe that Simon was indeed a professor of physics and astronomy at Penn.

Got there just in time for lunch. Only healthy foods are served at the Samuels. No salt is on the table. Nor is it added to the food. Freda, who suffers from an autoimmune disease, had been feeling terrible for three years. No doctors could help her.

Her friend Arlene found a wholistic doctor in Virginia Beach who put Freda on a special diet. In five short weeks, she is almost her old self. Back then she needed a three-hour nap every afternoon and could barely leave home she was so weak and exhausted all the time.

It was a delight to see this energetic, vibrant, smart woman bounding around her house again with full vigor. They purposely bot a house w/ steps for the exercise.

Here's Bernardo relaxing in the living room. He reads the paper and does the crossword. That man, like his wife, is interested in everything!

Did I tell you the Samuels are in their mid-80s?

I spent four hours in the upstairs office working on my laptop. Accomplished my goal of writing the synopsis of five chapters.

Master chef Bernie prepared a delicious dinner. I'm not kidding when I say master chef. He buys his fish from a wholesaler in Philly, his meat from another wholesaler. The man knows everyone! Thru the connections he's made his whole life, he's majorly improved people's lives, his children's lives, as well as total strangers.

He's a man of purpose.

After the dinner of salad, rye bread and "colossal crab," we sat and talked over green tea and lemon. Dessert was succulent honeydew.

Everything in that home is perfection!

Speaking of lack of, I got tar stains on my new living room rug. I called Gary Fleet and he told me how to clean it. Scott came over and tried, but ground the tar into the rug. Something gave me the idea to simply paint designs over the five rug stains.

I will do dat!

Rediscovered my moleskin diary given to me by my writer's group when I finished my novel. I've been a writer since I was a kid. And always kept a diary until recently. Now I've gotten back into "writing in my diary" and do so in bed before I sleep.

In a diary you write your innermost thoughts that you wouldn't tell a soul. Very therapeutic. I use all sorts of abbreviations so I can write real fast. Thing is, What's gonna become of these diaries after I'm gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment