Friday, June 24, 2011

Speaking of Mental Illness: Linehan disclosure - Schizophrenia lecture

Marsha Linehan, creator of DBT for borderline personality d/o

Well, this was certainly the talk of the town yesterday.

Marsha Linehan did a NY Times interview in which she talked about the difficulty - and finally the necessity - of disclosing her condition - borderline personality disorder. Upon occasion, she still gets thoughts of killing herself.

From the article by Benedict Carey:
Are you one of us?

The patient wanted to know, and her therapist — Marsha M. Linehan of the University of Washington, creator of a treatment used worldwide for severely suicidal people — had a ready answer. It was the one she always used to cut the question short, whether a patient asked it hopefully, accusingly or knowingly, having glimpsed the macramé of faded burns, cuts and welts on Dr. Linehan’s arms:

“You mean, have I suffered?”

“No, Marsha,” the patient replied, in an encounter last spring. “I mean one of us. Like us. Because if you were, it would give all of us so much hope.”

“That did it,” said Dr. Linehan, 68, who told her story in public for the first time ...
Today Marsha is probly finishing up reading all the comments readers left at the Times. Mine is no. 135.

Without even thinking, I left a comment. That's cuz the Times tempts you. All I wanted to do was READ the comments. But my own name popped up, asking for my comment.

Am on the mailing list for the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation, formerly NARSAD. New Directions has made many a donation over the years to this charitable org who give out grants to brain researchers. When John O'Reardon spoke to us, we donated money in his name to BBR.

We also offered him a blueberry bush, which he declined - and took the white mums instead.

When I took a pic of the blueberry bush just now, I noticed a blight growing on the leaves. Must call the berry doctor.



Yesterday I listened to this 52-minute audio about Drugs for Schizophrenia by Dr Jeffery Lieberman, a smart white-haired dude who's prof of shrinkology at Columbia University.



Efficacy of antipsychotix varies.

In order of effectiveness are: Clozaril, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify. This is valuable information! A few of the antipsychotix are not available in the US. Oh, well, I guess I'll have to move to Zimbabwe.

Lieberman wondered why only 5 percent of patients take Clozaril since it's by far the most effective schizophrenia drug.

I know half a dozen people on it and they're all trying to get off. Side effects!

We have a guy in our group, who I'll call John, who recently told our small group, that when he was diagnosed w/schizophrenia, his doctor said he had "the good kind."

He worked for quite a while, but then I believe sheer loneliness began to shut him down. All his family had died and a remaining cousin moved away. John is hurt that the cuz never invited him to see his young grandchildren.

We guided John about this, particularly Helen who is in frequent phone contact with him.

Altho it doesn't come naturally to me (I come from a family who were scared of touching each other!) I try to give hugs to various New Directions people and some of my therapy clients.

Never underestimate the power of human touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment