Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blue place-names at our Book Discussion Club make you feel welcome



And here I stayed for two hours trying to finish the book by 2:30 in order to make it to the Upper Moreland Library Book Discussion Group. I hate to gobble my lunch while reading but.

I walked in 6 minutes late, telling them I just finished the book.

Well, not exactly. I skimmed the last 20 pages, for this is a book - if you like it - that needs to be read word for word so's not to miss any of author Moore's insights, cleverness, and plausible conversations.

In fact, the group and I agreed that the author is a colossal show-off, inserting all kinds of minutiae that, while interesting, didn't really belong.

The book was extremely suspenseful, but, then again, the author strew so many obstacles in the path that you had to trip over before you caught up with the story line.

The book concerned inter-racial adoption by the married couple. Their 20-year-old babysitter, a college girl whose parents owned a potato farm (yes, that's why I'm steaming potatoes right now, for a repeat of my Mem Day potato salad) and who had a real love for the baby, Mary-Emma.

I won't take you thru any of the twists n turns of the book that jazz it up and make for a great storyline.

Adam, our librarian discussion leader, admitted he had to force himself to finish it.

In fact, me and Kullie were the only ones that liked it.

Hadn't been to the group in ever so long what w/my kidney transplant and not liking some of the reading material, so I wanted to be sure to make this one.

Was so happy to see Kullie, a vibrant 85-yo old. I thought she'd been killed by a hit n run driver. That's cuz I was confusing her w/another octogenarian in our group who had indeed been killed by a speeding teenager, now in jail.

My first thots upon reading this multi-award-winning book were, No one talks nicely to one another. I can't stand hearing these people. Followed by, Nothing is happening, Where is this book going?

Bam! Suddenly the odd married couple - restaurateur Sarah and womanizer/loser Edward - decide to adopt a child.

Riveting from then on, even though nearly all the characters were inordinately strange and dislikable. But so were Hitler and Stalin and you wanna read on about them. Did you know that under Chairman Mao it's thot that as many as 50 million people starved to death when he created farm collectives?

Little tragedies are sprinkled throughout the book. The author gets us into such a 'fear mode' that she can talk about a simple flower and you'd have me thinking, Now who's gonna be poisoned to death by this flower.

As usual when I finished and drove to the library, I thot, What'll I do now? My purposeful life is over. Emptiness awaits me.

Sort of.

Well, I came outa there w/ the book for next month - Fordlandia - and a new book I'd read excerpts of from the NY Times: A Queer History of America.

Can't wait till it's time for bed! Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get insomnia so I can read in the middle of the night.

Ah, my neighbor Allison is parking her new Red Kia SUV directly behind my driveway. She's a recent college grad - I think dad bought her the car as a gift - and she has absy no judgment that it's a dangerous place to park.

No comments:

Post a Comment