Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hey you big-spenders, this is my town too!

When Scott and I drove over the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge to NJ on Father's Day, I said to Scott, Maybe they'll wanna move the bridge too!

I was referring to the desire of some of our town fathers to move the Willow Grove Train Station to another location.

Yes, you heard me right. Did you ever hear of anything so ridiculous?

They're having a task force this week about it, which I read about on Patch.com.

I was so incensed I actually wrote a comment as follows: (made a couple changes here; as usual my adverb was in the wrong place)

who is behind this idea of train-station moving? i'm wondering what they will personally gain from such a radical, capital-intensive project that will tie up our roads for several yrs during completion?

why do we need more retail shops or office bldgs in willow grove? willow grove is a small community. we are not philadelphia or pittsburgh.

look, it's good to think big but let's not get grandiose about it.

settlement music school was a good addition to our town, as is the giant supermarket. we have wonderful parks and schools.

find other goals to strengthen and enhance willow grove. all who agree say aye and do not capitulate to the monied interests!!!

I tried to make my comment worthy of my friend and political ally Stephen Weinstein who made a grand gesture thother day to halt a property-management company - Haynes Management of Wellesley, MA - in their ruthless mistreatment of an employee whose wife got sick.

What did they do? They fired the man. Here's Stephen's email to the Haynes people:


Dear Mr. Haynes,

Today your real estate management company really stood out.

Haynes Management could be the iconic poster child for what is wrong in the American business community. How “proud” you and your team must be for “saving” your firm a few dollars when you fired a 13-year employee who requested an adjusted work schedule to assist his wife dealing with stage 4 cancer.

This is the same employee who received a raise in November for a job well done. Anyone with a sense of decency and humanity, after reading about your company, must feel they are experiencing a nausea one would associate with chemotherapy treatment.

I am including links to articles about this story since I am copying this email to an extensive mailing list that includes residents of the Boston area who may want to know the details.

The Haynes website has subsequently been removed.

In the numerous comments about the company I found on the Internet, there was an official "straightening out of the record" from Haynes.

One thing I noticed was their proudly stated comment that most of their employees have been there over 10 years.

Well, the guy they fired had been there 14.

How many other people had they fired for the same ruthless greedy reasons.

Leona Helmsleys are everywhere!






Luckily they didn't see me filling my pillbox this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment