Sunday, June 5, 2011

The healing power of.....you name it!



The day got off to a great start. The Demings invited Bubby to Bonnet Lane for a delicious breakfast: poached eggs, hashed browns w/ ketchup (!), remember I'm just getting used to eating my forbidden foods, and fresh strawberries.

I wore my AWeber.com T-shirt.



Quick story. Upon leaving the Bonnet, I'm hobbling to my car. An old lady is standing at the curb, ostensibly waiting for someone to pick her up. She met my eyes. Quizzically.

Can I help you, I ask her.

I'm terrified, she said.

Of what?

That my walker will roll down the hill.

There was a slight incline.

You'll be okay. I'll wait here with you, I said.(I should only be as attentive to my own mother.)

She lives up the street at "Sunset," one of t-h-o-s-e places. I told her my 88-yo mom lives in her own house in Huntingdon Valley.

I'm 87, she said.

I moved my head so I could take a good look at her.

You look much younger! I exclaimed truthfully.

Now her son comes over, backing up from the parking lot across the street, in his big white SUV.

To my shock, he almost runs over her toes.

He gets out, looks at me in an odd way like I'm conning her out of her money.

I tell him I'm keeping her company.

Where'd you get that T-shirt? he asks.

I look down.

Oh, my son works at AWeber.

Do you know Seth Cohen?

Yeah, he's my son's boss. (Seth is the no. two man. Started off answering phones.)

Small world!

Bye Evelyn, I say. Maybe I'll see you again.

BUT I think next week we're gonna try KitchenBar. Terrible food except for breakfast. No one knows this, certainly not the mobs that eat there.

A columnist for Patch.com gave a recipe for potato-leek zoup. This is my version using the ingredients I had in the house. You can barely see the soup, which is delish.

Parm cheese covers the top, as does a double-dollop of yogurt w/chopped fresh scallions.

Made the soup with: steamed potatoes and carrot chunks, which I pureed in my blender. You know how Americans must have the newest models? My Osterizer is 37 yrs old, bought in TX to make baby Sarah's baby food. Give her food from a jar? How often do YOU eat food from a jar.

I keep the top atilt so it won't smell funny when I use the blender once every 6 months.

Ding! My timer went off. Time to take my antirejection meds. Just took a Percoset cuz the back pain is so bad.

May I share some terrific movies I watched w/ you?

Ballets Russes is a film by Dayna Goldfine and Dan Geller of the greatest ballet group of the 20th century. They were Russian emigres who escaped after the revolution and went to Paris.

Young at the time, most were in their 20s. We see footage of their dances as choreographed by Diaghilev, Balanchine and others, all Russians.

They are the heroes and heroines of the film and were interviewed in their own homes or, yes, ballet studios, as many of them teach. Funny to see these emigres living in California, Texas and even Uruguy.

You see, the Ballets Russes toured Uruguay and an 8-yo saw them dance. Daddy! Daddy! he told his father. I want to be a dancer.

"It was so fantastic," he told the interviewer. "Men jumping and turning and twisting. There was nothing like it."

His father was upset. "He almost hit me."

Then his father took him in the next room and rummaged in a filing cabinet. He pulled out the programmes from the Ballets Russes when they toured South America including Uruguay. His father had been one of the dancers, as had his father before him.

Story after story is recounted in this absolutely marvelous film. My daughter Sarah went to the wedding of Julie Worden, one of the Mark Morris Dancers (Mark himself officiated) and I was thinking of sending Julie this film as a wedding gift.

What dyou think?

(Okay, this is absy the last handful of almonds for this evening!)

Watch it here: Adam Curtis – All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

This film is an absolute mindpopper! You just wanna send it to everyone you know w/ a thinkin' brain.What an imposition, tho. I played it for Scott today but he quickly fell asleep. Weekends he catches up on his sleep.

Anyway, I'd love you to watch it. As I said in my email to politicist Stephen Weinstein (sometimes I accidentally send things to Stephen Weinrich from the bakery)

did you ever see this film?
it touches upon the philosophy of ayn rand, the clinton years and how treasury secy robert rubin led the clintons astray w/ the biggest recession since the great depression, scientists who erroneously thought that 'nature' had a sense of order instead of chaos, and on and on.
it's a thinking-person's film.

and of course I'm eating more almonds.

and the Percoset is taking effect. Doesn't make me high but makes me feel normal as the pain is not strangulating my left buttock and leg and foot.

Before bed I consult my blogroll to the Right and watch some videos. Tavis often has good guests. For the first time I saw k.d.lang, that's how she spells her name. I knew absolutely nothing about this phenomenally talented woman until I went on YouTube and listened to her perform Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it seem like her band is looking at her with reverence?

I myself had a spiritual experience listening to it three times. I believed in the healing power of music, tho today is another day. Today I believe in the healing power of potato soup and Percosets.

2 comments:

  1. I always like to try new breakfast places. Most folks can get the eggs right, but it is the hash browns that make the difference.

    When I find one that gets the hash browns right, then I always stand up and sing, "Hallijuah!" right there in the restaurant.

    Once, K.D. Lang was there when I did. She said, "hey, I like that!"

    She then started to sing it herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i laffed out loud when i read your comment, mr K, but then when i replayed k.d., i noticed something new. in tiny writing on her necklace it says: i owe it all to mr kracker. who knew?

    ReplyDelete