Sunday, May 17, 2009

Low-flying aircraft

I was awakened out of a sound sleep by the unmistakable sound of a low-flying airplane. Scott and I were asleep in the comfy bed in my family room with the door open for cool air when the alarming sound woke us from our sleep.

Half-naked, I jumped out of bed and ran outside to scan the skies. It sounded as if a plane was grazing the house-tops and the trees. Since the Naval Air Base closed, we are no longer in a flight pattern, so it was very strange to hear such noises.

I prepared myself to see an explosion in the sky and a plane landing on our street. The noise faded away.

Scott commented that the engine was whining and sounded damaged.

We lay in bed listening for sounds. He fell asleep. I could not. Half an hour later I got up and called the Upper Moreland Police Department.

Did anyone report a low-flying plane, I asked.

No one, said Officer Garvin.

I had an interesting dream after that. I was at a BBQ at a neighbor's house, which was true yesterday, but while walking home my car was not in its usual place in my driveway.

Where did I leave my car, I asked myself. After that I woke up. Scott was up and I told him I'd lost my car. He said, "When I lived on F Street and the Boulevard, I lost my car, too, but it was stolen."

I've been awake now about 4 hours and not once did I look out the window to see if my car is still in the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment