Wednesday, June 28, 2017

From Jehovah's Witnesses to Chainsaws to Matzoh Ball Soup


Chloe's Fruit Pop for dessert. Only thing I don't like is the stick.

 Oops! Almost forgot the mushrooms.

 It was delicious! Streit's mix.

Maybe I'll bring it next door for Eileen to try.


I didn't even know that the Colombians got a new fence. Click here to read My Five Stages of Grief for the New White Fence. Scroll down.

GIVE HIM A CHAINSAW AND WATCH HIM WORK

Where would you buy a chain saw?
Sears, but not on the Boulevard,
they blew it up years ago. We
watched the destruction of the
landmark in slo-mo on the television.

We drove to the one near Starbucks.
But don't expect the merchants to
know where the items are kept on
the shelves.

Scott went on an expedition around
the store. A woman rested her
legs inside a see-through tent, as
I took up the rear trying to discern
a leaf blower from a chain saw.

He was calm when he found it. Rarely
gets excited except when I forget to
close the car windows. We paid with
my credit card and rode home like
soldiers, ready to deploy.

Down came the weeds, the vines, the
small twisted trees in his backyard.
Looked like the injured on D-Day.

In round two he took on the path
made by the deer, centuries earlier,
cutting down more twisted trees,
the path that my kids took to
get to the bigger world outside
our home, and he, to the SEPTA train
to make the 8:20.


YOU ARE INVITED

When I yelled down from
my upstairs window and
asked in my gruffest voice
"Who is there?" expecting
Window Wizards or driveway
pavers, it was worse than
I expected.

Without my glasses
I could tell they were
The Witnesses. Nicely
dressed people of color
they were swarming our
street like wasps.

You are invited, they said
in their angelic voices,
as they placed the invitation
per my request in my mailbox.

"Don't Give Up" is this year's
theme at the Liacouris Center
in downtown Philadelphia.

Why such disdain for the Witnesses?
They are smart people. The driveway
pavers are forbidden from soliciting
in our township.

But not the Witnesses. They battled Goliath and
won the right to walk down our
cracked sidewalks, passing by my
jungle of growth in the front garden,
the squirrels scolding them from the wire,
and urge us to save our souls or
attend their conference.

They shall be there, these righteous
individuals, chosen by God, believers
who hope to change the world.

Go for it, thinks I.
Do you suppose they use Ziploc bags
for 17 different uses?

No comments:

Post a Comment