Sunday, March 15, 2015

Art Show at Ye Old Mill Inn, oldest structure in Hatboro, Bobby Cunningham is a damn fine singer


The Old Mill Inn, in its latest incarnation

From the Internet - This is the oldest structure in Hatboro. It was built here on the Pennypack Creek in 1720 by a Mr. Dungworth. In August of 1777, Gen. George Washington used this mill to grind grain for his troops, on his way to an encampment at the Moland House on the Neshaminy Creek, where General Lafayette joined the army. The mill became an eating establishment in 1918, and is today, a fine restaurant.

Well, it closed its doors as a restaurant after flooding in 2011. See photo below from the Intell. The worst flood, said Bobby C, was in 2000.

Old Mill Inn

I went to the art show specifically to hear Bobby Cunningham sing. I met him several years ago at Pennypack Trust, where we was taking photos, and I was on a walk with New Directions people. We 'liked' each other on FB and fort'ly I read this announcement that he'd be singing today.

The man is super-talented! Two of the old standards he sang were "Moonlight Becomes You" and "Just the Way You Look Tonight." 

His GF Maureen of the beautiful green nails came to hear him. The two of them met nearly 8 years ago right here at the Inn. Maureen said her shade of nail polish was daring for her. I showed her my yeller ones and said I crossed the Rubicon many miles ago.

 Can you see this photo of groundhogs? Our groundhog popped up yesterday, said Punxatawny Scott.
 I loved this art work made of tin?
 Tap tap tap
 Who dis? Tell me if you know.
Pottery. I was tempted to buy one of the delicately glazed bowls for $5.

 Intell story about the former owner who once made the restaurant 'the place to go'
 Ginger creme brulee, Warm Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream, read the small print and drool
 Chicken Breast and Salmon, not to mention Filet Mignon
Goat Cheese Salad, Grilled Caesar Chicken Salad

 This Pollack-like painting sold for $200.

Sure would be nice if I knew who the artists were. I do not.
 These tulips are from Monet's Garden in Giverny.

These deserve more study.

 Watched a show last nite featuring an 85-yo chef from Tokyo, who runs one of the finest restaurants in the world. His sushi often features octopus. One of the interns must pound the sea creature for nearly an hour to bring out the flavors and render it tender.
 The above are greeting cards available at $5 each. Gorgeous!!!
 I loved the above two paintings, not to mention the one below.

 Bamboo cutting board.
Loved this photographer's eye. Edward Spector.



 His son, Jordan Spector, a student at TU, had his work posted opposite his dad's.

 Jordan spent 15 hours working on this football player. He wore an Eagles' cap and said he loved to play football.
 Someone painted the "Welcome to Hatboro Sign."

Here's my photo of the sign.


He also painted the famous Daddypop's Diner. Hmm, I wonder if someone were asked, What is Hatboro famous for, if Daddypop's would be the answer.
Hope they're found not guilty of tax evasion.


Hatboro Union Library. Very very old.

Completed in 1850. Second oldest library in PA.  12th oldest in the country. So it's pre-Civil War.

The Old Mill Inn has three stories. The restaurant was on the second floor. The dishes are still on the top floor.

As I exited, I noticed these lovely - what! - mill stones? - right before the entrance.

Then I walked out of the crowded parking lot, crossed the street, taking photos the whole way, and found my locked car on a side street.

The Pennypack Creek is calm today. 
 
Tractors large and small.

Hold on, two more you and I must see


Hurry, Bubby, or you'll be late for dinner at the kids' house.

No comments:

Post a Comment