Sunday, July 1, 2012

Beating the Heat at Lorimer Park, Moredon Road, in Huntingdon Valley PA (Abington Twp)

We four diehard hikers readied for our walk at beautiful Lorimer Park. Leslie, on right, did the research on which trails to walk. This is the park where Scott (left) and I bike-ride on the Rails to Trails.

Bart, center, is also a cyclist. The man is a trucker, a motocylist, a cyclist and hiker.

We were not afraid of the heat.

At 10:30 a.m. there were plenty of shady spots. Lorimer Park - 230 acres - was purchased in the bequest of Lorimer, a long-time editor of the Saturday Evening Post.

Here Bart and I stand by huge rocks, above which a tree is poised. Looking up, our goal was to climb to the top.

We took a rocky path up to the top, being careful not to trip on tree roots. I did not wanna fall again. My scab had just fallen off my knee where I fell on my outside step.

Bart and Scott made it to the top, as Leslie and I took up the rear to make sure no one attacked us from behind.

Leslie had actually been in the Air Force in 1965-66, stationed at Thule AFB in Greenland. It's pronounced Tool.

An airplane - a B-52 - had been shot down and was carrying four H-Bombs. Fortunately they failed to go off or else: No Leslie.

Victory!

 Wild raspberries grew along the side of the path. Dee-licious!

I told Leslie I can't stand the feel of tiny seeds between my teeth. He said his Swiss Army Knife, attached to his keychain, has a toothpick.

Mine doesn't, I said, and pulled it outa my pocket.

Sure it does, he said. Then he pulled the white toothpick out, like a rabbit outa the hat.

Whenever I set out on a hot day, I soak my hair first. Afterward I'm soaked all over. When I was on lithium for 16 years, I never sweated.

Standing on "Michael's Bridge," we gazed at the Pennypack Creek below. It's well-stocked. The geese had been clustered onshore but had moved over to the grassy meadow to bask in the sun.

We said goodbye to auto mechanic Bart at his beautiful Honda truck. Both Scott and Leslie wanna buy a Honda Fit as their next car. We saw a black one in the lot, as well as the new Shelby Mustang.

 The actual Shelby car was invented by chicken farmer Carroll Shelby. Our Leslie met him when he was in the Air Force. He gets great medical benefits from those days.

After saying goodbye to the boys, Scott and I went to the Giant Supermarket. He needed a few items.

I sat in the Coffeeshop to enjoy a tasteless Iced Decaf.


However, I doctored it up with cocoa and cinnamon and it was quite delicious.

I certainly did not want to sit alone in the coffeeshop, so there was an older gentlemen with a b'ful set of white false teeth, who was getting his coffee right behind me.

What are you drinking, I asked.

A senior special, he said.

We began talking and I sat next to him at the table. Next to him cuz he was a bit hard of hearing.  Walt  from Horsham. He has coffee while Jeannie shops.

He lost a grandson. "Ever hear of Boy in a Bubble?" he asked me.

The boy was born and the doctors misdiagnosed him and treated him for the wrong thing. He ended up in a wheelchair, his brain not working right, and died at age seven. A relief certainly but an unforgettable tragedy.

I asked Walt for tips of living that long.

Well, he and Jeannie have been married 66 years. Walt is nice and slender. His wife is beautiful! When she  came to the table, I said, "I'm picking up your husband."

She didn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment