Sunday, May 13, 2012

Poetry advocate Arthur Krasnow dies on Mother's Day after brief illness at 87 (1924-2012)

Arthur L Krasnow, with poet Diane Guarnieri, at reading at the Big Blue Marble bookstore.

One of Arthur's 3 daughters emailed me and dozens of others.

She wrote, "He is survived by Pearl, his wife of 62 years; 3 daughters, Judith (& Martin) Trichon; Susan Krasnow (& Glenn Mitchell, dec.), K. Krasnow (& Matthew) Waterman; and 2 grandsons, Daniel & Paul Trichon.

In 1959, he founded Atomic Personnel, Inc., the first employment agency specializing in “high tech.”  In the 1960’s and 1970’s, he played a significant role in the emerging nuclear and aerospace industries because he was able to identify what pre-existing specialties and skills could translate into assisting these brand new fields.  He brought to the work the knowledge gleaned as a machinist in his youth, a Naval electronics officer, and a nuclear engineer.

He began college at Brown University and earned his bachelor’s degree from the United States Naval Academy (class of 1948).  There, he was one of very few in the Academy’s history to graduate with no demerits…but, he used to say with a twinkle in his eye, “Do you think I didn’t do anything, or do you think I didn’t get caught?”  (For those who knew the story of hiding mess hall grapes in one’s cap to ferment wine in the Academy’s attic, the answer was obvious!) He attended the graduate program in Industrial Management – the precursor to the MBA - at MIT’s Sloan School of Management.  Recalled to service before completing the graduate degree, he negotiated a second Bachelor’s degree.

He was a man of many talents and interests.  He was capable in French, Russian, German, and Yiddish and tutored recent Russian immigrants in English for more than 15 years.  He was an avid gardener, providing many of the fruits and vegetables that graced his table during the warmer months and growing large American Beauty roses.  He was a poet from his teens to his passing. His poem “the Midnight Watch” was published in Shipmate, the Naval Academy alumni magazine.  His love for poetry led to his organizing and hosting the Poetry program at the Elkins Park Free Library to a full house for nearly 10 years.

He will be buried at 10 a.m. precisely at the Washington Crossing National Cemetery, 830 Highland Road, Newtown, PA 18940.  Shiva will be held at the home of Judith & Martin Trichon on Tuesday & Wednesday evening.  In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Elkins Park Free Library, 563 Church Rd, Elkins Park, PA 19027.  

I responded with:

I am deeply saddened by the loss of your WONDERFUL FATHER!

Thanks for all the great info about him.

What a privilege to have known Arthur as one of his Elkins Park Poets!!!

I mention him several times on my blog.

You might enjoy this post from 1-23-10:

My condolences to the many people Arthur touched with his loving ways, wit, passion for poetry and candor.

There aren't many people like Arthur anymore. A one-of-a-kind BEAUTIFUL MAN.

With love,

*

I'm so happy I found the foto of him on the Blue Marble website.

Several years ago, Arthur called me to ask if I'd be interested in reading poetry at Lester Shannon's funeral at Wetzel & White in the Fox Chase section of Philly.

Was I ever! Here's my post, which I shared w Lester's widow Rose Shannon.

*

This evening while celebrating Mother's Day w dear ole 89-yo mom, my sister Donna was there w daughter Melissa, visiting from Amityville, NY.

Spiritual Melissa had participated in a drumming seance awhile ago.

I suggested we all do it at table.

We closed our eyes, began drumming on the table, and awaited thoughts or visions.

"I SMELL ROSES," I said.



Neither mom nor her neighbors grow roses.

But Arthur Krasnow did!

A coincidence?

Only heaven knows.

3 comments:

  1. My BF Scott just came over after coming home from spending Mom's Day w family in NJ.

    I told him about Arthur and he said:

    Arthur was sending you a message!

    Think so? I asked.

    Yeah, he said. You're a honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds like an incredible man, who made quite an impact on the world. We all wish for the ability to make some kind of a positive impact.

    Hope you had a good Mother's Day. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we just imagine people will go on forever, like arthur. i got to know him quite well during our brief interludes at the library. no one called him artie since his boyhood or praps when he was in the army. i wrote a couple letters to the editor about poetry nite. he was mad at me that i used his actual age, which was 82, at the time, but he never held a grudge.

    like u, i had a great mom's day and decided not to take photos!

    ReplyDelete