Friday, July 20, 2018

Leeway Foundation Calling - New insurance - Poem: On the Way Home from the Hatboro Post Office - Literary Yard publishes LORI IN LOVE

Image result for british baking show  Just watched the British Bake-off. They made pudding, my very favorite dessert. Paul Hollywood is really rough on the bakers, and Mary Berry isn't far behind.

Rode my stationery bike for arf an hour, with the fan on me.

My new insurance agent stopped over to have me sign the paperwork. "It's like buying a new car," said Dave. I'm gonna save a lot of money.

Image result for the man in the plaid suit

Nice-looking guy, full head of hair, who coaches his daughters' soccer games. He looked like the man across the street, Bob Masser, who I rarely see. I did tell Masser he got nice new windows. "It's about time," he said.

Image result for huge pudding


Umm, umm, umm.

In 1998, I won a Leeway Grant for $5,000. The Edna Andrade Emerging Artist Grant.

View it here.

In honor of Leeway's twenty-fifth anniversary, they wanted former recipients to submit items to their library.

I wrote them a letter on my New Directions stationery, which says, "Changing the lives of people with depression, bipolar disorder and their loved ones"  and enclosed our 2018 Compass.


Also put in a brochure, printed by

Ibrahim at Copies to Go

Image result for copies to go willow grove pa  a business card and my Guest Column, Yes, We Can Prevent Suicide.

I'd entered two other Art and Change Grants from Leeway but they dismissed them. Unfairly, I thought.

Shall I try it one more time?

Deadline is August 1.

Image result for edna andrade

Here's Edna Andrade. Edna Andrade (January 25, 1917 Portsmouth, Virginia - April 17, 2008 Philadelphia) was an American abstract artist. She was an early Op Artist.

She lived until she was ninety-one years old. Good for you Edna!!!

ON THE WAY HOME FROM
THE HATBORO POST OFFICE

Windows flung wide open
the aromas of late July
penetrated my car, where
dead bees and wasps lay
in their crypts in the
area above the back seat.

The perfume of flowers
found and embraced me
Petunias which look like
tiny dancers,
Zinnias, messengers from
the Sun,
and Pine Needles,
where the deer bed down
in our back yard.

What smells so good,
I wondered as I walked
in the house.

Oh, it's the aroma of
my new insurance agent
mixed in with the noodle
soup I never tire of making
in the once-lonesome
crock pot.

***

Now the Hummingbird Feeder out front has been visited frequently by Scherazade.

Image result for hummingbirds at feeder

Her name, btw, is very difficult to spell.

She goes to the feeder when birds are in the bird bath and doesn't mind at all. She's also visited Scott's feeder many times.

Scott said he saw her sticking her long beak into the flowers of the hosta plant.

Image result for hosta plant

We've created a perfect environment for her.

When it was nearly dark outside, I brought a spray can of Black Paint outside and painted my iron railing. When your agent comes over, you view your house anew.

***
As my faithful readers will remember - O Come All Ye Faithful! - my car was in the shop as I needed a new starter.

I thought it made a strange sound, but Scott turned it on and said it was fine.

***

Is it possible for me to start my new short story now?  I thought of it when I drove down Chelsea Avenue in Fulmor Heights. See photo below which is on Wiki, for pete's sakes.

***

Went on YouTube and listened to a story by Edna Ferber, who wrote Giant. The story was called The Homely Heroine.

Let's give it up for Edna Ferber!

Image result for edna ferber 

Read about her here.

She was very popular in her day and won many awards including the Pulitzer.

Image result for fulmor heights

Click here to read LORI IN LOVE in Literary Yard.

See, I'd originally published David in Love on Haggard and Halloo which is out of business. It's a great story. But where is it? Can't get to it.

Should I go outside and look at my newly painted railing? Dyou suppose any bugs are stuck to it?



No comments:

Post a Comment