Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Poems: The Leafman Cometh - You Are Invited (to the Medical School of Oklahoma City)

THE LEAFMAN COMETH

A noise like B-52s
summoned me from my
bed. Damn! They had just
caught the arsonist
in my book. Finally!

Fantasy or reality
which is more important?

Pulling back my drapes
a magnificent machine
greeted my eyes.

The Leaf Vacuum Machine!
What a beaut she was.
Bright yellow body
shining under the early
morning sun. And a hose -
for sucking up leaves -
black as a witch's hat.
As my friend Carl Yeager
would say, What can I do
with this?

Nothing I could think of.
I'm not a painter, nor a
photographer, nor a
jewelry maker.

That's it! A charm bracelet
with dangling leaf vacuums
between my ancient baby teeth.

***

below are instrux about downloading photos.
click at the start button
devices and printers
I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT!!!

***
A QUIET PASSION about Emily Dickinson is a film I checked outa the library.

It would not play here on my laptop.

Grrrrrrrr! This is the universal symbol for I'm angry as hell!

Perhaps it's on YouTube, I thought.

Instead I watched the entire one-woman play THE BELLE OF AMHERST. 

It was brilliant! Funny, irreverant, sad, but Emily always believed in herself.

Then I watched an interview with her. No wonder I'm so tired today.

Image result for julie harris  Julie Harris - read about her on Wiki - December 2, 1925 – August 24, 2013

YOU ARE INVITED

Dear Authors and Artists,
the email read, flattering
me immensely, because
the University of Oklahoma
Medical School published
two of my essays, I have been
invited to their gala reception.
Tomorrow.

Of course I shan't go. How could
I miss the glorious autumn leaves
that right now twist on the
trees on our street and then
flutter down gracefully, like
golden saucers.

Across the room I have a huge pot
filled with Halloween candy I bought
last night at Giant. It is beautiful
to me, tho I shan't eat a single
mini Hershey Bar or KitKat, oh that
crunch that makes the creatures that
dwell with me, alarmed - you know,
the spiders, the tiny mites that tiptoe
through the kitchen door.

And the story I will write sometime today
- ideas anyone? - to present to the Thursday
morning writing group, starring Linda, Marlene
and Lori.

There's still time to pack. Of course I'd include
a couple of books and my favorite nightgown my
sister Donna gave me, brown and white stripes
and I'd open up the motel room door and say
Pleased to meetcha!

***

I've got a quarter of an inch worth of reading to finish American Fire.

Ladies and gentlemen, can she do it?



Image result for american fire





No comments:

Post a Comment