Monday, February 23, 2015

Hot off the press - Poem: Solar Lights - Okay, okay so I downed popcorn while writing it


SOLAR LIGHTS

The walkway leading
to my front porch has
eight solar lights, unseen
during the day but at night
they guide me on this
snowy eve. I pause in
gratitude, then notice
their shadow of deep
furrows upon the
midnight snow

At first I think they
mirror my furrowed
brow, how can it
be I am no longer young
and the two children I bore
have fled their nest and
don’t need me any more

These faithful lights
never disappoint, just as
the sun, whether flashing
with its explosive
sun spots or appears invisible
behind mighty clouds
may indeed have learned
the sad news: in
millennia to come, light years
away, when we
train our eyes upon the sun
of our childhood and old age,
where Phaeton’s chariot
was shot down by Jupiter’s
thunderbolt to save the earth
from desiccation, this very same
sun where lovers in the summer
once lay under umbrellas on the beach,
hands and hearts entwined,
innocent that light years
away, the beach, the
familiar streets of home,
their infants soon to be born,
would exist no more,
they know not that

Galileo’s sun will cool
unstoppable, colder than
the frozen crusted snow
that flanks my walkway
tonight, its deep furrows
weep the truth:
our golden sun will
suicide and metamorphose
as nothing more than a
tiny chip of moon. 




1 comment:

  1. i like it, mom! very sad...
    like the mirroring of the little lights with the big one.

    ReplyDelete