Friday, February 20, 2015

My short short story "A Knock on the Door" published by Mad Swirl - You really really like me, says Ruthie

 Imagine my shock when I came home from Naptime Next Door and found this email.

When I went on FB, where they'd posted "A Knock on the Door," they posted a really nifty picture of Our Saviour.

Howdy, Ruth:

Something oddly and endearingly godly? We don't get that too much here
at Mad Swirl. Sure, a lot of people try to pull God down and slap Him
around, but they're never happy to see the almighty walk in uninvited.
That's brave in the most endearing of ways, I think.

What I enjoy about your story his how jolly it makes death, a
hallucination, a kidnapping, or a simple vision. It  finds simple
pleasure in an important moment and celebrates those tiny
observations. That said, Mad Swirl would love to feature "A Knock onthe Door."

http://madswirl.com/content/stories/A_Knock_On_the_Door.html

Oh, and if you have any other visions of god, please, send them our way.

Peace,
Tyler@MadSwirl

A KNOCK ON THE DOOR

I was doing my dishes one day and heard a knock on the front door. I leave my door open in the summer and always have a pitcher of lemonade in the fridge. I love the way the lemon wheels float to the top and the glass pitcher gets all frosty.

Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw a man standing there.

Not just any man, mind you. But one who looked exactly like Jesus from the Bible.

“Christ?” I called, as I walked to the door. “Is that you?”

He smiled that gentle smile of his and pushed a stray hair behind his ear.

”It’s me!” he said. “Jesus Christ our Lord.”

I was so excited I didn’t know what to do. My mind flashed many thoughts. Was I properly attired to meet Christ our Lord? Did I have spots on my shirt? Walnuts in my teeth? Did my toenails need trimming?

Barefoot, I opened the door.

“You’ve come,” I said. “You’ve come at last. I’ve been waiting for such a long time.”

When he stepped inside, I saw he was quite tall. The sun shone on his shoulder-length auburn hair. Starlight sparkled from his long white robe. Was it my imagination or did a fluorescent green halo float around his head?

No matter.

I have had many experiences in my life. It’s been a good life. A very good life. I remember mostly the good things: the birth of my children, the publication of my first newspaper article, walking into my yellow house for the very first time. But when Jesus walked in, it was the very best feeling I ever did have. It was like seeing my own father risen from the grave.

And now, I have left my sandals behind and have ascended to be with my people.

Image result for christ





No comments:

Post a Comment