Sunday, February 22, 2015

Got my car back from Giant - Poem for Kiana - Kenny Weinstein calls - Photos from David's Photo Album


And to think, I said to myself this morning, I used to always eat my b'fast outside on the porch and then wander around the driveway.

Why not?

Took the steaming-hot mushroom omelet outside & by the time I finished it, it was cold as milk.



Scott and I did major shoveling while the sun shone. The snow was  h e a v y !!!  Both of our backs ached... temporarily.

Not so my cousin Kenny Weinstein from the D C area.

"What's that noise?" I asked him.

"I'm shoveling," he said. Just talked to him and darkness has fallen and his snow is frozen solid.

He poured hot water on it. Then chopped up the ice.

Ken called to tell me the sad news:  his 90-yo mother passed away today. He visited her last night during her last hours. Her eyes opened but he didn't think she knew what was going on - tho, who really knows - and he talked to her.

The funeral is tomorrow. He'll drive his two daughters - Sarah and Melissa - the two hours to the funeral home outside Richmond, VA.

Ken used to be in the Navy and flew a plane. I believe it was the kind that took off from a destroyer. Gosh, just that word.... destroyer. But that's what defense is all about.

Image result for blue angels
The Blue Angels used to fly at the Willow Grove Air Show.

Told Kenny that on the evening news, it was reported that a terrorist group said it would attack shopping malls.

Kenny asked me what I would do if I met one of them.

"Interview them," I said. "Find out why they do it, find the humanity in them."

"I don't mean that," he said. "What would you do physically to them?"

"Oh, that's right, you're a guy," I said.

"Well, I wouldn't kill him. I'd turn him in. And hope he gets life imprisonment. I don't believe in the death penalty."

As my readers know, I'm always looking for ideas for short stories, but the above doesn't particularly interest me.

I told him I got good reviews for my latest CNF - creative nonfiction piece - David's Photo Album.

Mom just called. She felt terrible about the death of Eleanor Weinstein.

"Sure," I said. "She's your contemporary."  Mom is two yrs older. Good mind but bad legs.


 J K Simmons wins Best Supporting Role for the film Whiplash.
Tonight is Oscar Night.

Wiki has already updated the entry on Whiplash, which is about a band at a Princeton High School. Simmons plays an abusive teacher.

Eddie Redmayne, Best Actor as Stephen Hawking in Theory of Everything.

Julianne Moore, Best Actress in "Still Alice" about a professor with early Alzheimer's

A COUPLE PAGES FROM DAVID'S PHOTO ALBUM




David, who died when he was 29, has a pic of himself above. On the lefthand page is our former home at 1 Loretta Court, Englewood Cliffs, N J.

Here's what Marcy, my friend in California, wrote very sensitively about the story. 

Thank you for writing your highly personal, emotionally charged story about David.  I appreciate how difficult it was for you, both writing it and living through it.

My favorite kind of tea, which I'm drinking right now. Harney & Son. What's the difference between the bags from the tin can and the cardboard box?

Nothing.

 After lunch, Scott and I walked down Davisville Road to pick up my abandoned car at the Giant.
Wore warm boots that apparently were waterproof. The only problem was putting my socks on. As the great John Wooden (d. in 2010 at 99), coach of the UCLA basketball team, advised in a PBS special on him

You must put your socks on correctly and make sure there are no folds in them. Otherwise you'll get blisters. My pink diabetic socks were overly snug in the boots, but I'm just fine, Marcy, you'll be happy to know.

Wiki - One of the most revered coaches in the history of sports,[1] Wooden was beloved by his former players, among them Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (originally Lew Alcindor) and Bill Walton. Wooden was renowned for his short, simple inspirational messages to his players, including his "Pyramid of Success". These often were directed at how to be a success in life as well as in basketball.[1]

This building has never had a successful biz in it since Messina's Market moved out.
They were open today and all shoveled out.

 Our friend Kevin Hoke lives here.
 We're gonna take a shortcut to the Giant.
 Nice job with the letters and numerals, said Scott, who used to own Precision Striping with his best friend Mike Kramer. Sadly, Mike's wife embezzled the company to use the money for drugs.
My car was waiting for me. My mental health magnet was stuck tight on the rear.


Can you guess what this is?
I have a bunch of solar lights leading up the walkway to my front porch.

Couldn't resist taking a photo of these symmetrical shadows.

Kiana is one of the baristas at the Willow Grove Giant Supermarket.

After our writers' group, I went over to her.

Told her that in appreciation for all she does for us - she brings fancy coffees to our table and picks up things that have dropped on the floor - I told her I'd write a poem about her.

"What do you love to do?" I asked her.

This afternoon while at Scott's, I wrote this cinquin for her.

Syllables are:

2 4 6 8 2

KIANA:  The Sketcher

She leaves
home in the dark
sits atop river bank
pen dancing across canvas:  ice-
filled pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment