Monday, February 18, 2013

Thanks to Amy, my hair looks great! - Electrician hard-wired for this work - Poem: New Version of "I Rowed Last Night"

Returned to my alltime favorite beauty salon, Polished, in Hatboro, PA.

My stylist, Amy Hee Joung Eam, was trained in NYC. At the time her English was so poor she needed to learn in her own language.

She told me how difficult it was driving twice a week to Manhattan, tho today there are Korean beauty academies in the Philadelphia area.

Her English has much improved. She and her husband, who owns a Korean grocery store and puts in long hours, and young son arrived from Korea about five years ago. Her kids are now 16 and 10.


And look at my beautiful nails! I was gonna cut them myself today, using a huge scissors, and then vacuuming up the nails from my living room carpet, but then thought, Why not Sandra? Part French and part Cambodian,she did my nails for only $15.

I get them done once every 50 years.

"Polished" has specials on Monday and Tuesday:  $55 for a wash, color, and set.

Tomro nite - Tues nite - we're having a group photo shot at New Directions for the cover of the Compass mental health mag.

My fear is that only altacockers like me will show up. Young people do not wanna be associated with mental illness for all the right reasons.

What? She has bipolar disorder? Quelle horreurs! I will never hire her.

Well, tell that to Catherine Zeta-Jones or Matthew Quick, author of Silver Linings Playbook.



After my hair appt., I walked next door to Wawa. My friend Teresa Forstater had given me a gift card from Wawa and here's what I bought with it for lunch:

A cheese quesadilla AND a pretzel filled with cream cheese.

OMG! Scrumptious beyond words, esp. the pretzel.

Also bot fresh eggs from the Wawa Farm and a quart of whole milk b/c I'm making more yogurt right now.

Last night when I was putting the finishing touches on the Compass, some of my electricity went out.

Things like this always happen when you're on deadline.

Scott came over and so did neighbor Patrick, who's an electrician and also my secret Valentine but don't tell anyone.

Pat referred me to an unemployed electrician friend of his - Mike - who came over early the next day - today - and diagnosed and fixed the problem within 45 minutes.

My outdoor lamp, by my flower garden, had short-circuited, blowing a fuse. 

I trembled when I asked him how much it cost.

Would you believe $40?

Is that all, I asked.

I can raise it, he said.

No, that's fine, I said.

If you need someone good, lemme know and I'll refer you to him.

And now if you'll excuse me, it's naptime.

Featured film is... by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame.



PS - Awful movie, just as I feared. Scott and I slept thru most of it.

I ROWED LAST NIGHT

They picked me
They chose me
I was someone
They liked me

I followed them
through the lowlands
trotting behind
they balanced a canoe
high over their heads
like pallbearers with coffin

They were regular-sized
big people
adults
my shortness
makes me feel like a child
still does

Stars sparkled above
like a navy quilt back home
in Cleveland
but I was away
for the very first time
away and
on my own

A hush came over us
we saw it in the distance
a glistening river
called the Winooski
heard the lapping of the waters
black waters meeting black sky

Seven big people
inched the canoe into the shallows
I heard the pebbles crunching
my ankles getting wet

I had never been in a canoe
and liked the rocking motion
the lapping of the waves
against the metal boat
I dipped my oar in the water
felt strong and powerful as
my little muscles worked hard
I trailed my hand in the water
so cold it burnt my hand
and in that moment, Ecstasy!

We stopped beyond the waterfall
Barbara pulled out a jug
passed it around
and the wine flowed down my chin
the first wine I drank that was not
for Rosh Hashanah

This was the beginning of my life
life away from Mom and Dad
and four little sisters and a
brother, autistic, who died
of an overdose.

But I am still alive
fifty years later
my freckles faded
hair gone gray
children of my own
all rowing boats
of their own

Lying in bed under my ceiling fan
I am still eighteen
yet to know a man
wearing jeans and sandals
swooning with joy on the Winooski
under the stars in Plainfield, Vermont,
Goddard College,
with the new taste of freedom
strong as the wine on my tongue

No comments:

Post a Comment