Saturday, June 23, 2012

Watch your Step! Ruthless pursuit of perfection for my house


As you remember, I had surgery last August for my excruciatingly painful sciatica. Everything was fine until 7 months later - this May - when I began gardening and got new pains. Physical therapy and exercises got rid of most of the pain except for my numb left foot. Have no idea what that's about.

My bad foot made me fall down one of my side steps and get a boo-boo on my knee, which made for good conversation with my 22-month-old granddaughter Grace as we shared boo-boos over lunch.

My fall made me aware of steps. So when the Stoneworkx Company began doing work up the street at John DeLuca's I invited them over to see what they could do for me.

Justin, in the first photo, and tall blue-eyed Nate above got to work building me a second step. The original step that was here was quite large and I needed to hold onto my railing when I stepped up. I'm just a little tyke - barely five-foot tall and shrinking - so the second step would make it easier for me to enter mine own home.

Justin is putting a coat of cement on the original step so it will match the color of the new step. Justin is the only white guy living in his neighborhood in North Philly. It's a step up from his previous life in Kensington. Nate, the other worker, is studying to be a probation officer for teens to help bad kids go straight.

Embedded on the new step are sea shells. Originally I wanted Grace's handprint on there but the colors "bled."

Justin pressed them down on either side of the step within a "picture frame." He did a very nice job. 

Today there were muddy footprints on the bottom step from


I told the boys from Stoneworkx and the squirrel, too, that I always take pictures of the work I get done on the house.

It makes me feel almost grown up.


No comments:

Post a Comment