Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Shuffling Couches - Goodbye Nora Ephron - Helene's Soup Bowl


Brrrring! I was asleep having a great dream about my friend Helene when the phone knocked me into consciousness.

"Your sofas will be delivered before 10 a.m.," she said.

The living room was a mess, but gimme a deadline and I'm psyched. I cleaned off the two old couches which Impact Thrift will pick up next week.

Booty under the cushions: 30 pens, biz cards, and two items I'm smashing down b/c they're creased.

How intrusive: Google.com just asked me if I wanna share this post with them. SMASH YOU DOWN.

Jose knocked on the front door and assessed the situation. I could not wait to be united with my two new couches. It took two months for the new deep red upholstery to be put on.

The couches are even better than I expected.

Jose remembered my new sofa-bed that's upstairs in Sarah's old room. These were well-wrapped in toilet paper, as were the huge cushions I ordered to go with the couch.

Oh, I'm so distraught. One of the great women of letters - Nora Ephron - just died at age 71. There's only one reason, I said to myself, she would die: cancer.  Sure enuf, she had leukemia and died from pneumonia. Read more in the Times.

I loved her piece on the aging neck

 Nora Ephron 1941-2012.

Here's my friend Russell Eisenman.  I put him here to cheer us up. He's Nora's age exactly but still breathing. He gets rave teaching reviews at his college. He was my first BF after I left my husband and we're still friends.

I have been sitting on my new red couch most of the day cuz it's my new desk. My laptop sits atop a TV table I found on the curb.


 I also tested it out as a Napper. I like it better than my bed. After I finished my work this a.m., I began watching WW2 documentaries - profiles of Goering, Goebbels, and the capture of Adolf Eichmann.

Oh, darn! I left my iced coffee in the kitchen. Looks like I'll have to get up and bring in here.

Am doing an experiment. Last nite I drank iced decaf and my blood sugar was almost normal in the morning. As you know, I'm a person w diabetes.

We'll see how it is in the morning. Perhaps I can finish my dream about my friend Helene who has just moved into Rydal Park from the horrific Artman Home for the Brain-dead.


THE SOUP BOWL

Whose bowl is this?
Surely not mine with its
delicate traceries, as delicate
as the woman I got it from

a small gift on the occasion of
her confinement
forever in a Lutheran nursing home
though she is Jewish
and has become a
reluctant octogenarian

I sip the fine Harrod’s tea
she gave me from a tin
though the taste has long gone
like some of the finer
workings of her mind
an early obituary causing
the shutting down of many corners,
a panic and hysteria that her home
on Bauman Drive
is missing her terribly

I took one succulent plant but
my windowsill is crowded with my
own nest and pine cones and feathers

Greeting my arrival in the Lutheran home
was a quick order from the attractive Gestapo
behind the desk
Sign in and wear a stick-on Visitor’s Badge

More Nazis on the second floor she now
calls home
Fake smiling, bowing aides who accompany
me down the hall, my steps watched lest I
inject the dementia patients with enough
morphine to kill them all
these Busby Berkeley babes
with wild white hair
and frumpy housedresses

these once vibrant bathing beauties
who made love with a passion
and now sit deadpan in a circle
eyes vacant as a dead dog’s eyes

We can’t let you die Helene
Writer, sculptor, woman with a camera
your photograph of my Sarah hangs in
my study, she was only fourteen, you
measured my children
on your kitchen wall, a swipe of a pencil
and - voila - they’re all grown up

We shall keep you alive though the
grilled cheese is rubbery
We shall keep you alive though your
lime-green Olds has been taken from you and
the husband you once loved is
failing fast in another building,
an untended bedsore on his heel
- who is watching who? –

You’ve got your phone and your computer
and you’ve got me, too, eating peanuts
and raisins from that stunning bowl that
shall help mold me into a more delicate
and thoughtful woman
as I lick my fingers from my
late-night snack and view the bowl
a reminder of my own future
doom-filled days.





No comments:

Post a Comment