Friday, June 29, 2012

How I Struggled to Write a Couch Poem - Helping Bill Hess - Poem: The Mail-Order Couch


Before I regale you with my couch poem, let's commiserate about the awful heat! 

"80 degrees" read my outdoor thermometer, which is thumbtacked to a tree stump in the frontyard, as I tied my new and comfy Vasque sneakers and headed out the door.

It's not so bad, I thought, as I headed down the hill. Rounding the corner of Cowbell, I sought out the shady parts, which were plentiful, and the going was easy.

Until, that is, I rounded the corner at Greyhorse - "that's all one word," I say to new visitors - and then the heat hit me so fast I thot I would pass out right there on the street.

In fact, I saw myself falling on my hands and knees. Proof perhaps of a parallel universe?

I could not breathe right. Keep on walking, I told myself, one foot in front of the other. I stepped into the shade and caught my breath.

What is happening to me?

I could always stop at Carol's house, the gray one, and ask them to drive me home. I knew I wouldn't. I knew I would make it the entire way, which I did.

Full stop, new paragraph.

The prob with the couch poem is that I bot two couches, but I'm not skillful enuf to poetate about one couch, let alone two.

I bought the couch from Gamburg's in Hatboro, PA and called my saleswoman Amy Kraemer. What kind of wood did they use to make the legs, I asked.

She got in touch with Mastercraft Furniture - oops Craftmaster Furniture - in Hiddenite, NC - to find me the answer.

Also she answered my question on how best to clean the occasional spot. I've already forgotten what she said but I think it was:  Hose it down with a fire hose.

Our man in Alaska, Bill Hess, underwent a colonectomy today for pre-cancerous tumors. I mailed him a generous check to help pay for the operation.

Writes Bill on his blog:

Dr. O'Malley's Office had already informed me his bill would be just under $10,000. Now I was informed the hospital bill would be $60,000 - BUT - they had a real special deal for uninsured people like myself. All I needed to do was pay just $20,000 before I went into surgery and they would knock the rest off.

I told them they might as well ask me for $2 million. Add in the bills for Dr. Sahagun and Providence and the total comes to about $80,000. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it grows from here.

Joe Biden just emailed me wanting a donation:

Yesterday I shared an emotional moment with Barack in the Oval Office after he learned health reform had been upheld.

Barack Obama is a man who refused to give up. No matter how politically unpopular it was, he knew it was the right thing to do.

Good marketing, fundwriters! Love the use of the term Barack. I also adore the font, whose name I do not know. But guess what? Altho I want Barack to win, I ain't giving him a cent.

His healthcare won't go into effect soon enuf to help my pen-pal Bill Hess. Our darling Barack made too many concessions to the health insurance companies. Nice guys finish last.



THE MAIL-ORDER COUCH

Jose carried you over the threshold
the companion of my latter days
I was finished with the has-beens
couches bought at thrift stores
other people’s sweat and cigarettes
You are newly born
the stork wrapped you in cellophane
a couch for eternity.

In the foothills of North Carolina
they dressed you in your wedding gown
red as raspberries glistening in a pie
and slipped on your high-heel pumps
a blend of alderwood and birch

You’ve settled down
far from the clang of manly hammers
the swoosh of bouncy soy-product
stuffed into your cushioned hips and breasts

Tired, I lay down to nap
sixty-six years of exhaustion
visions flooding the forest of my mind:
Why have I returned to foggy San Francisco?
or the sweltering heat of Houston
where I reigned five years
as a failed wife?

Never an answer
only sweet comfort
in your arms
we rejoice in
the manic depression I sloughed off
the new kidney pulsing invisible
and your silent attentiveness
intuitive as an oak.

Here, let us get up and greet the dawn
Nearing eighty, I am nearly as old as mother when she died
Your cushions have grown hard, pebbly inside
Still we thrill to the violin
and the birds splashing in the birdbath
I’ve told friends I’m no Henry the Eighth
intent on divorce
But, who, my darling
will want you when I'm gone?  

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I had almost forgotten that I hadn't read this super poem. Beautiful lines and amazing how you get so much about life into one little poem on a couch! Congratulations...Great work! Loved it! Sorry I haven't been keeping up.

    Tell Bill that there are websites where you can raise money for yourself for good reasons like medical bills, and even some not so great reasons. I am not familiar with them but have heard of them. Takes a little research but I hear people have been very successful with them.

    The heat does stinks..hard to breathe! Even so, your couch poem was a breath of fresh air in the otherwise stagnant and unbearable atomosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you like my couch poem, iris! haven't read it to anyone except scott who said it needs more pizzazz. he's not one of my fans.

    there's a super website which my daughter sarah went on to raise money to go to china. when i find out what it is i'll put it on my blogroll to the right, so i can remember it and refer it to to others like bill.

    i'm off to my new directions meeting in 45 minutes. my friend nancy is talking about how she got rid of her horrific 2-yr depr thru alternative means.

    thanks again for for your awesome comments about the couch which is now my desk and my napper. i'm watching The Gilmore Girls, which i checked outa the libe. Heard of it? quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoying you blog. I am working on a new blog and was wondering if I could post your cartoon from April 17, 2011 on my blog. I of course would give you credit. Your cartoon is adorable. Due to my health issues I tend to forget a lot of things so I'll put my blog addy here for you and you can check out my blog and let me know.
    artfulabilities.blogspot.com
    Thanks. Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure, suzy, post anything you like of mine on your blog. i'll check out your blog shortly. are u a regular reader?

    ReplyDelete