Saturday, November 13, 2010

Finished Editor's Corner


The toughest part of the Compass is the Editor's Corner. I worked on it for about a week, then emailed it to Sarah for her opinion. 'Powerful but dark' is what she said.

When she was in town on Thursday we talked about my potential kidney transplant while we were still at Einstein Hospital. Sarah had been there all day and had seen various incompetencies which she recounted on her blog.

Mom, what would you like to eat after your transplant?

As you know, I'm a strict diet - low protein, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium.

Don't mind my salivating now, Pavlov, as I write my list - CAPS indicate forbidden food

mashed POTATOES with garlic

spaghetti sauce with TOMATOES

sliced fresh MANGO

homemade WHOLE WHEAT bread

ORANGE slices

BANANANANANAS

carton of YOGURT w/crunch topping

But it's mostly the spaghetti with meatballs and tomato sauce I'm looking f/w to.

We asked Radi Zaki (photo in previous post) about the lifespan of the kidney donor. Swedish studies, he said, show they live longer than their non-donor counterparts. I asked why. B/c they are selected for their good health. Not everyone passes muster. Only the truly fit are eligible to donate.

The last transplant done at Einstein by my team - Radi and Stalin - was a liver transplant.

Sarah asked if they were tempted to eat it.

They laffed and said they'd lose their jobs if they did. No Hannibal Lechters they.

Sarah suggested I eat lots of liver and kidney to cure my conditions - 'like curing like' - homeopathy, which is a crock.

Scott and I watched the 1953 movie Ivanhoe last nite, the largest grossing film of that year, and starring Robert Taylor (my dad's favorite actor) and Elizabeth Taylor as Rebecca the Jewess. Great film! Made by MGM, it was a joint US-Great Britain production, a strategy pioneered by the newly deceased Dino deLaurentiis to increase film revenues.

Gee, I wish there were one person who read this blog overseas. Raise your hand if that's you.

No comments:

Post a Comment