Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ah, Nature, Food, Family / Poem: Red

I was carting the loot from last nite's support group meeting to the bank when I stopped at one of the worst red lights. Very long. I wrote a poem about it one time. When I worked as a newspaper writer nearby, I figured out a way of circumventing the red light so I wouldn't have to wait. It probly took 20 times as long but at least I was moving.

I love the hideous eagle on the truck in front of me.

That morning we went for an exquisite nature walk at one of the many trails of Pennypack Trust near Pennypack Creek. We walked for more than an hour inhaling the perfumes of nature. Sarah said the Japanese call it "tree bathing."

I love the sound of babbling waterfalls, one of the precursers of music. Speaking of which Ethan was flying to the Land Down Under to perform. He's been there three times. It's got a 'good vibe,' he said.


Out of the water from whence we came. Is that why we love it so much? Ah, memories, of when I was a leetle tiny sea anemone.

Oh, the mighty, how they fall. Dig the massive circumference of the root system of this fallen beech tree.

Tree roots revealed, not hidden.

Sarah,Ethan and I went food shopping for a feast at my son's house.

After our fabulous dinner at Dan and Nicole's - and "Here we come a-cooing" w/baby Grace - we ate a few from the Stutz Candy Box. I brought in a knife from the kitchen so we could eat tiny pieces of chocolate. I particularly liked my one bite of a Mallow Cup-like fellow, shaped like a huge Reese Bar with both caramel and peanut butter in it. One bite only, followed by a sip of apricot-flavored beer. These people know how to live.

RED

I waited in line for the light to change.
My hopes were great
That the stay would not be long.
But I could see by the holy stillness
Of the cars in front
And the way the woman ahead of me
Drew a comb across her hair
That we might be here for quite some time.
I was restless and needed things to do,
So I drummed up tasks like
Swabbing down the dash with napkins
And feeling for loose change in the corners.

There were red begonias
Outside on the passenger’s side,
Each bouquet standing at perfect attention
Next to its mate. I never liked begonias.
Too stiff. These circled a sign that read
Church of the First Resurrection,
Visitors Always Welcome.
I shall decline, I thought.
The smell of prayerbooks makes me itch.
High, dark rooms with low-lit candles
Make me want to move along, go my way.
Much as I do now
My tires kicking up dust,
Engine firing, not forgotten,
I bound headlong through Go.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your comments accompanying the nature photos. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, stephen! when i went on my half-hour constitutional this morning (i know you walk an hour and look great!) i saw signs for Corbett for Governor. who the heck is he, i wondered, and thought, oh, if only stephen still had his blog i would know. i know what painstaking research you did and all the time it took (i don't even check my spellings) but - just a suggestion - what if you wrote about ONE TOPIC only and sent it out to your readers across the globe.

    ReplyDelete