Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We broke our losing streak



New Directions Support Group, our July 6, 2010 meeting at Abington Presbyterian Church, Abington, PA, photo by Greg Hodges, head of our Family member group, lower left

Time was when we'd apply for grants and get them! We've had a very bad run of luck even with the best grantwriter we've ever had...my own little daughter, Sarah Lynn...but we finally got a hit. Although we love hitting home runs, this was, you might say, a sacrificial bunt that got us to first base.

Fourjay Foundation explained that due to the poor economy they were scaling back and just giving a portion of the monies, deciding to give to many, rather than the few.

It felt like a real victory. I wrote an effusive heart-felt thank-you to them. This was our third attempt to get a grant. The main project of Fourjay is the operation of HealthLink Medical Center in Southampton, PA, their free clinic for the working uninsured.

I had the pleasure of volunteering for them several years ago as their Saturday receptionist. During that time, I went thru a very rough time emotionally, since my psychiatrist yanked me off lithium -- no titration -- and I went into suicidal despair for nearly eight horrid months. He added Lamictal to the compost mixture which unknowingly revved me into hypomania.

I still remember that one warm Saturday when my suicidal urges were so strong I wanted to sit on the floor and die. But my automatic pilot kept me working at the front desk, checking people in and scheduling their appts.

Gee, that was painful to write. Knowing how it feels to be that low is what keeps me working so diligently on behalf of my people. It's also true of our other group leaders. The word depression is a pitiful term that scarcely conveys the despondency, emptiness, brain fuzziness, and ineptitude caused by the whole body illness of depression.

Enough already!

I was talking on the phone today to the Mayor's son. True story. He said his father is so cheap he wouldn't install air-conditioning in their house. He's got the window units but they're just sitting there.

Today's temperature was 102. That's right. Three digits. I told the mayor's son that my boyfriend and I are probably the two biggest cheapskates on this side of the moon but that both of us are using our A/Cs today.

Put a fan in front of you I told him. Fans are really helpful.

Why is it that whenever I get a grant I wanna go out and spend money. Dutifully, I went sandal hunting tonite. When I couldn't find any, I thought of driving to Scoops in Hatboro to get a root beer water ice. I imagined it dripping all over my bare legs and blue shirt.

What could I counter with at home? Popcorn will usually do the trick with its satisfying crunch. Add to that a loam of grapes and you've got a healthy snack that's real food.

Hmmm, I wonder what time Scoops closes.

No comments:

Post a Comment