Monday, October 19, 2009

Why is the Cheesecake in the Trunk?

The only thing to be done on a gloomy Sunday with a strong prediction of rain is to be in denial. Well, I said to myself and Scott, it hasn't started raining yet, let's get out and do something.

You know I like to stay home and relax, said Scott.

You relaxed yesterday, I said. You had a great time doing nothing while I went to my Coffeeshop Writers group and had a great time running around.

Why do you always do this to me, Ruth?

Cuz you're the best boyfriend I've ever had.

Why, thank you.

Once I get him moving he's fine.

Dyou mind if I invite Linda Barrett? I asked.

The three of us drove down to Styer's Orchard in Langhorne, PA, home of our own Peggela. Peggela, where art thou?

My kids n I used to visit Styer's regularly. Naturally I had no idea how to find it but did remember driving thru scenic Langhorne w/its b'ful houses.

Since the direx on their website were wrong I pulled into a Lukoil to ask directions. I always bring a pad of paper w/me. My printer gives me dozens of free pads. Lemme know if you want one. I have a couple saying I'm the superintendent of schools.

On we go. We learn the name of the street after we pass it so I have to make a u-turn.

As I begin the turn, Linda screams from the backseat, "For godssakes don't turn here, you'll get us killed."

She didn't see from the driver's vantage point so I safely made the turn & reassured her I'm a very good driver.

Crash! Later on, I ran over an orange hazard cone but more about that later.

Scott had predicted nobody would be out cuz it was a gloomy day. What? He doesn't go to work cuz the clouds are out and the sun is hidden?

Styer's was packed!

I couldn't remember a thing! They sell fresh produce from their farm. I wanted to buy some apples but they didn't have them displayed that well so I forgot all about buying apples and instead I concentrated on desserts.

Oh, I am so ashamed of myself. Well, semi.

You really don't know how they taste but I took a plunge and bought a whole apple-walnut cheesecake and a six-pack of licorice. Actually a container of black licorice.

It was cold and gusty outside. I wore my beret and Linda wore her warm wool cap. Scott wore his Ford motor jacket when he was a mechanic at the dealership. Boy could he tell you stories about how the mechanics were treated. He put a punching bag up in his garage and pretended it was his boss.

Hey, let's follow this road and see where it goes, I said.

You know me, always curious.

The road leads directly to the orchards. It's unpaved. I realize we're splashing thru mud so I drive real slow. I motion for cars to pass me. Let them get mud in their eyes, not me.

We pass apple orchards. The trees are small and a few apples lie on the ground. If it weren't so muddy I'd go and pick em up. Do kids really appreciate this? Or is it mostly grownups that are bedazzled by real trees w/fruit.

Pumpkins are everywhere. Linda is mumbling in the backseat, Boy that's a huge one.

As I proceed down the muddy road a huge vehicle is coming my way. There's not enough room for both of us on the road so I force him off the road into a ditch. Just kidding. I decide to turn around, check my rear-view, and back up onto the grass.

Cr-un-chhh! Something is beneath my wheels.

What the heck?

I pull back out and Linda says, You ran over a cone.

A cone, I say. How can I run over a cone?

OH, an orange hazard cone.

I am conscientious to a fault. I pull into a hay-covered parking spot, jump outa the car and run over to put the cone back.

Jeez, of all people to run over a cone, I think. I use these in my artwork. I love the little devils.

Then I go back in the car and say, Luckily it wasn't a kid I hit.

So. The cheesecake was delicious. I had one huge slice. The rest is in the trunk. YOU guess why it's in the trunk. I hate half the pack of licorice. Scott was sposed to take it home for safekeeping but he forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment