Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Vegetable Soup w/Fresh Flounder

Who wants to come over for dinner? Raise your hand and cry out loud.

In the chilly autumn weather, I love to make soup. My soups are so thick they're actually stews.

Into your large soup bowl, saute the following in olive oil or other healthy oil like peanut oil. Remember, fat is good for us as long as it's not a trans fat.

- onion
- celery (okay to munch on a stalk while chopping)- ooh, can't wait to chop w/my new bow-knife, see previous blog (I'm pretending that people read my blog.)
- mushrooms

Essentially just use whatever you've got in the fridge. I did forget we've got some green peppers still growing outside.

Add a box of organic chicken stock LOW SODIUM. I don't need to remind you that the American food industry is poisoning us with too much sodium. Check your food labels and moan out loud with me. Rinse out the chicken stock box w/water and pour into soup pan over sauteed onions, etc.

Add fresh veggies found in the supermarket:

- 3 corn on cob (remove when soft and cut kernels off)
- handful of green beans
- baby carrots - when soft, slice w/scissors

Hover round the kitchen, stirring so food won't stick to bottom of pot

When almost ready, add these quick-cooking items

- sliced zucchini if you're not sick of it from your garden. We didn't grow it this year b/c it took up too much space and we were mad at it

- FRESH FLOUNDER or other wild-caught fish that's on special. I could've gotten scallops or Cojo salmon but wanted to try something new.

NOTE on fresh flounder: I chopped it into bite-size strips but while cooking, it crumbled into tiny bits while cooking. What's that all about, Alfie?

The soup is scrumptious! No seasoning except fresh parsley from the pot on my mother's porch and fresh chopped scallions sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment