Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Potato Salad Sans the Potatoes

I'm on a special diet for my stage 3 chronic kidney disease which I developed after being on lithium for 16 years. Main components of my diet are low potassium and low sodium. I've given up potatoes entirely due to their high potassium content. Today I'll make my first potato salad but without the potatoes. Here's my recipe which I've just invented this morning, based on 2 nutrition consults:

2 cups of lightly steamed green beans, cooled
1 cup of raw shredded carrots
1 diced onion
chopped fresh cucumber
sliced hard-boiled egg if desired

fold in dressing:

half-cup Hellmann's olive-oil mayo
1/4 cup Dijon mustard (check salt content. Grey Poupon has twice the salt of Dietz n Watson)
1-2 minced garlic cloves
fresh lemon juice
paprika
chopped basil or thyme from jardin

Since this is labor-intensive you might wish to call your mother while making it or a long-winded friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment