Monday, July 27, 2009

The Bill Moyers Healthcare Report

Scott comes over. "Bill Moyers has a great show. Healthcare. Can I change the channel?"

"Absolutely not," I say. "I'm in the middle of The Karate Kid. When a person is experiencing pleasure they should never be interrupted."

HA! GONG-CHEE! KUNG!!!

"We'll watch it later online," I say.

He pretends to leave. "It's a good movie," I say.

"It's formulaic," says he.

"Look at the beautiful California scenery."

By now it's nearly 9:30 pm and yes, Scott has turned over and gone to sleep.

Last nite I finally watched Bill Moyers. I feel utterly betrayed as an American by the insurance industry and the drug companies. Here's the video. It's straight-talk about health-care reform.

I wonder why I'm taking it so hard. Just about everyone I know has decent health insurance. I guess it's the idea that big corporations are screwing with us and profiting when we get sick. There's no worse feeling than laws or policies being enacted that you have no control over. Hmmm, maybe I should join AARP or move to the parking lot of the Cleveland Clinic.

2 comments:

  1. I would have refused to turn off the Karate Kid as well... "sweep the leg, Johnny."

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i think it's important to stick to our guns, nicole, on certain issues and then compromise on others. for example, scott loves going to the jersey shore. he was psyched to go this weekend - to long beach island - on your mom's recommendation!

    i was on a tight deadline for the compass magazine but didn't want to spoil his immense pleasure, so off we went! discussion and the desire to please the other is paramount!

    ReplyDelete