Saturday, February 23, 2013

Adieu my beloved Selectric! - Electronic recyling day

My once-revolutionary IBM Selectric typewriter, which has a revolving ball that types directly onto the page, was not worth the money to have Phil Weber come out to the house once again to repair.

So off we went to the recycling place in the Abington Township Utility Yard.

Scott loaded up three old TVs of his, one of which was his first color TV and was HUGE!

Michele Langanella, who schedules bus trips for the Fox Chase Library, sent her friends an email about the event. 

We had nary a wait in this well-organized operation. And were even offered free pretzels upon our egress, which we declined.

The word 'egress' was invented by P T Barnum to get people out of the circus tent, so more people would enter and they'd made more money.

A sign read: See the Large Egress thru this door.

Scott helped with the heavy objects.

They gave us an information card which reads, in part:  Electronics contain over 1,000 materials, including solvents, retardants, PVC, heavy metals, plastics and gases.

Hmm, is my mobile, made with PVC pipes, hazardous?

If I weren't in such a hurry I would've moved the lamp.

I've got one of my free Giant Community Programs this afternoon. Gotta leave in 35 minutes, which includes eating my delicious tuna fish salad with sliced Vlasic pickles.

Went to Giant early today to set up the room.

To continue with the environmental hazards of electronics:  It's critical that these materials are processed in an environmentally friendly way.

EForce is one of 7 companies nationwide to do this work. All materials rescued today will be "graded" - I didn't know dis! - and, if they work, will be sent to non-profit organizations - please do not send it to my nonprofit - or given to low income families.

Yeah, but how do they dispense with the parts?

I have a really terrific idea. Send to an artist like Ai Weiwei and have him design a sculpture that shows Americans love for TVs.



What's your first thought when you see these?

Mine is the postage stamp of bicycles.

What dyou suppose this could be?

It's my Story Box, just created this morning. When I have an idea for a story, whether a short story, creative nonfiction, or a newspaper article, I slip it into this beautiful jasmine tea box.

No comments:

Post a Comment