Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ada and Friends go to the Japanese Gardens in Fairmount Park - Two Poems: Meditation in a Japanese Teahouse and The Quiet House by Linda Barrett

Tracey and I are at the spectacular Japanese Gardens - Shofuso - of Fairmount Park. Here are some views of this tranquil place from the Internet. I purposely did not bring my camera so I could be in the moment


Shofuso is a guest house. There is little furniture b/c people spend most of their time on the floor - eating, sleeping, conversing. Each six-foot-long, three-foot wide mat is comfortable for sitting.

Every Japanese home reveres art. A famous Japanese artist, said our most knowledgeable guide Vinni - from Taiwan - painted these waterfall murals all over the house.


We watched a gardener as he trimmed the leaves of this Japanese maple.

"It's all in the way you clip it," he told us, referring to the shape of the branches and the way the leaves are trimmed.

JUST IN!  Photos by our buddy Greg Hodges. I rode down with Greg and wife Carole.

 Click to enlarge. Can you see the koi swimming in the pond? They will grow according to how large the body of water is where they swim.

If you're like me, you may say to yourself, Gee, if only I lived here my life would be perfect.

Ah, now I'm wading across the cool water. Doesn't it feel great!


This statuary represents Japanese lanterns. Boy, if I only had one of these in my backyard....

Here's our group out of the hot sun, listening to Vinni under the shielding overhang of the guest house. No matter how hard it rains, she said, the way it's built protects you from getting wet.

Afterward about 14 of us sat on picnic tables and ate our lunches. I brought a delicious salad,with nuts and sunflower seeds, and a delicious salad dressing: the juice of a fresh orange.

My boyfriend Scott is off for two weeks. We went shopping together at the Giant b/c today you can save five percent on your entire order. We spent over $200.  I made a delicious lunch of melt-in-your mouth fresh sockeye salmon and asparagus and carrots bathed in butter with a sprinkling of Romano cheese.

While in the health food aisle where I went to buy some almonds, there was an attractive woman, her son about 10 years old, and her new white-haired pony-tailed boyfriend.

She was shoveling out dried pineapple and then popping them into her mouth before weighing the bag.

I was furious!

Her new boyfriend tried stopping her but she didn't care. What a role model for your child.

Scott came by in his cart and as we walked away together I said, "She's stealing food!"

I hope she heard me. I so wanted to say something but I didn't have the nerve. What I would've said was, "Because you're stealing this food, everyone's prices go higher." Clearly, she had no concept that stealing is wrong.

I paid $20 apiece for these two orchids which we'll give our guest speakers on Saturday for our Meet Your Mental Health Experts Program at the Giant.

It was a real coup getting Horsham Clinic to appear, the chief referral source for New Directions.

 
 double-click on photo to enlarge

MEDITATION IN A JAPANESE TEAHOUSE

In the days of my visions
God stood over my bed
a broad-shouldered deer
silent, all-comprehending
untouchable.

It was enough to see him.
His understanding
swelled my room.   
I felt untouchable.            

Today, a tourist
at the Japanese gardens,
I sit on a rice mat – tatami –
with friends all around.
The ponytailed guide
answers all our questions
and like God knows all
the answers.

I am fully content
a female Buddha
God is everywhere present

As my poem nears completion
a doe comes to my backyard birdbath
her long tongue slurps the rain water
She sees me from the window
and in that moment
freedom.

 THE QUIET HOUSE IN FAIRMOUNT PARK

@2012 LINDA BARRETT

After taking off my shoes,

I enter the Quiet House

Cover myself in its walls

Like dressing in a period costume

Of reserved color

And delicate, precious fabric

It reminds me of

The clothing designed

For married Japanese women

With short sleeves

And simple fashion

I observe its rules

Of enforced tranquility

The Quiet House

Observes ancient Zen Buddhist rules

Keeps haiku simplicity and peace

` for all its chambers

The garden becomes a miniature globe

A small island represents Japan

Bred for their beauty Koi fish

Swim in the round pond

Trees serve as a natural gate

Its whole meaning serving

Important guests with its beauty

Desks not gadgets

Signify high social rank

Artwork

Either imported or local

Decorates walls

And shelved on nooks

Worthy to be adored

Tea ceremonies held a few times a year

Represents

Buddhist thought’s

stilled, serene essence

Samurai took off their swords

Before they entered

I leave the Quiet House

Put on my shoes again

Leave with sincere appreciation

For its pristine culture


2 comments:

  1. Nice gift from the doe, just in time for the finish. Nice pic, too.

    I didn't think my life would be perfect if lived at that place, though. I thought, if I lived there I wouldn't live in Alaska and that would be tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, you could always come in for a visit. i'll pick you up at the airport.

    ReplyDelete