Thursday, September 17, 2015

And the beat goes on - Woodmere Art Museum - Biking at Pennypack Trail - The Big Bang and Arcadia College

At New Directions, we had a GREAT THING going. Ada's Wednesday Outing. Alas, it is no more. The places we went! Ada and Rich would choose them and we'd carpool over.

I probly would never have found The Woodmere Art Museum, which is where Scott and I went this morning. I was so pleased he loved several of the rooms.

We got in for FREE b/c much of the museum was under construction.

One of the exhibits was in honor of Pope Francis coming to town next week.



Look at all the different people looking up to Jesus.

I think I've told you how much I admire Christ. I admire all of his teachings but I don't believe in an Afterlife.



 Selfie of Raymond Theel.


 The fallen Christ with his mother.
Modern day version of Martha and Mary. Martha, thought0 to be a prostitute, wears skimpy alluring clothing. Christ has already risen.

 This is the old part of the building. Dig those plastic chairs. Comfy!
 Spectacular doors.
 Quite beautiful!
Scott loved this seascape. Richard Hamilton of the UK may or may not be the artist.

Scott also loved the colors in this radiant scene from Peace on Earth, which is the painting's theme.

 Cliffs at Amalfi in Italy. Look at the elaborate frames!
 Whimsical elevator door.
 Large sculpture in their Sculpture Garden.
Small zany sculpture.

 Could these colorful child-like sculptures be by the late Sam Maitin?
 Woodmere Museum in Chestnut Hill. We kept getting lost but finally found it.
Pretty girl. I could not stop taking photos.

Afterward, I took a brief nap, while listening to Terry Gross on Fresh Air

....Four years ago, an American drone strike in Yemen killed Anwar al-Awlaki, an American-born imam. It was a targeted attack; more than a year earlier, the Obama administration and the CIA had placed Awlaki's name on a "capture or kill list."

Everyone has an opinion on drone strikes and killings, which apparently do absolutely no good.

We need Michael Rennie to return to earth to give our leaders a good talking-to.

Image result for the day the earth stood still 1951

After my brief nap, Scott n I biked for about 45 sweaty minutes on the Pennypack Trail next to the Huntington Valley post office.

When I got home, I got an email from the Intell, saying they liked my proposal for my Aging Gracefully column.

I've nearly finished my first column.

Here's an on-the spot poem I'm creating right now. We passed Arcadia on the way home from the Woodmere. 




THE BIG BANG AND ARCADIA COLLEGE

Darkness prevailed over nothingness
there were neither seas nor lands nor
birds nor Neanderthals
the moon and stars had yet to be
formed
Arcadia University in all its
noonday splendor  
had the patience of a
spider awaiting its prey
in ten billion years the
learning academy with
its ancient buildings of
brick and quarried stone
would rise triumphant
as a tree across the land.


No comments:

Post a Comment