Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jenkintown Whole Foods Seminar on Healthy Foods for Depression and Anxiety

Thanks to my friend Nancy for letting me know about this program. She escaped before I could take her photo. Not to worry, here she is in living color.


We sat next to each other. I wrote her a note so as not to disturb the class.

Whole Foods expanded and did a beautiful job.

Wendy Romig was our knowledgeable guide in the wonderland of foods, herbs, teas and other ingestibles to keep our bodies and minds healthy.

"Did you learn anything?" asked Helen Kirschner.

"Yes," I said at the car. "Never knew that certain teas could be helpful." From the backseat of my car, I handed Helen the big pot and ladle from our Bonfire last Saturday nite.

Her husband Larry had put it on the top of the car and it toppled off when they drove off.
Ellen Rosenberg was also there. She ran the Giant meeting this morning. We had a nice crowd. I stopped in to drop off some Compass mags.

Wendy Rorig led the group in one of the eating areas since the Conference Room was already taken. It was terribly noisy.

Wanted to get a photo of Michael, the owner of Nature's Harvest, but he was up front talking to Wendy, perhaps inviting her to speak, as did our late friend Ed Wagner, naturopath.


I chuckled internally when I saw in the audience a lovely blond woman drinking something BLUE out of a bottle.

Whatever could it be? Reminded me of when we used food coloring in Home Ec in the 7th Grade. People made icky looking blue pudding.

SEROTONIN plays out in the gut, said Wendy. It helps your gut move, so you won't get constipated. There's "G.I.-based depression," said Wendy. Serotonin is present all over our body and nervous system.


Caffeine, like sugar, causes highs and lows. She mentioned that many teas have caffeine. READ THE LABELS.

This morning I had jasmine tea, which is highly caffeinated. I entertained a therapy client and asked her if she wanted anything to drink.

She had tea with caffeine, as did I.


I was able to nap for 20 minutes with Scott before I left for the presentation.

Highlights of her talk:

Eat a rainbow of colors. They represent a colorful variety of vitamins and minerals.... antioxidants..... which are also found in caffeine.

Hard to see, but take a guess what I made for dinner?

Hint: the main ingredient is yellow and begins with an 'S.' It was delicious and I used a tube of Pesto Sauce.

EVERY CELL IS SURROUNDED BY FAT. Hmm, I wonder if I can remember that for posterity. Nice image. But is it important?

Eat your good fats, kids.... nut butters. I put olive oil in my squash dish above.


This lovely plant is St John's Wort which interacts with all your meds. What I learned from Wendy's talk is that it's used to treat PAIN, nerve pain, and arthritis. She said it can be used topically.

Below is from the Mayo Clinic website:
Nerve pain
Early study shows that St. John's wort may help neuropathic (nerve) pain. Further research is needed to confirm these results.

Excuse me but I'm gonna find Frank on Facebook and tell him about it.The man is close to suicidal b/c of chronic pain.

FLOWER ESSENCES for anxiety and depression and other maladies.

Rose for grief and depression. 

Hawthorn Leaf and Flour. 

Looks like it helps just about everything.

And don't forget Lavender, Passion Flower, and Chamomile.

Ever heard of Motherwort? Good for new moms to get them to sleep.

It's from the Mint family

Motherwort has a long history of use as a herb in traditional medicine in Central Europe, Asia and North America.[citation needed] Like many other plants, it has been used for a variety of ills. Midwives use it for a variety of purposes, including uterine tonic and prevention of uterine infection in women, hence the name Motherwort.[cit - Wiki

Wendy Romig was an excellent speaker, both motivational and inspirational.

Hmmm, should we book her?

Here's the long hallway at Rydal Park, where I visited my friend Helene Ryesky.

She always dresses well.

Next time, she said, come at lunchtime, and bring me some decent food.

No comments:

Post a Comment