Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lunching at Daddypops with Helen Kirschner

Daddypops Diner in Hatboro, PA, is an institution, founded by Ken and Beth Smith. Helen commented on the wishing well as we clumb up the front steps.
I ordered a grilled cheese with tomato and Helen got a bowl of vegetable soup. The food was delicious!

Since it was a balmy day, we decided to walk the streets of Hatboro.

I introduced Helen to Mark Amos and assistant Bev who print our Compass mental health mag.


When we came in, his hundred-million-dollar Xerox machine was whirring. I think of it as akin to the


Atom-smashing machine in Switzerland, the world's largest atom smasher, called the Large Hadron Collider. They're trying to find the Higgs particle.

Mark was in the back on his computer eating delicious greasy bay-seasoning potato chips. I told him we'd have the Compass for him shortly.

Stopped at LeRoy's Flowers, said hello to owner Bob, son of original owner LeRoy LaBold, and of course to say Namaste to the Buddha.

"When are you gonna buy her?" asked Bob.

I'll put her on my wish list.


Heading back to the car, I found a new grocery store called FELUCCA.



"We're just browsing," I told Mike.

Mike is the American name for Palestinian native Ahmed Shaat. An American citizen, he's lived here for 25 years. He has relatives that live in the Gaza Strip, he said.

I told him Helen and I were both Jewish.

Right now, I'm eating a freshly made za'ter



mine has a thin crust and is topped with seasonings, mostly thyme. Quite good.

I'll skip the story about the dog poop outside the post office. I told not-going-postal Sandy about it in case they wanted to send Cinderella out to clean it up.

What I did was grab a stack of junk-mail newspapers and spread it over the poop, which several people had stepped in.

At my Writer's Group on Saturday, I'm gonna write a poem about Sandy. I told Helen that when I bot stamps from him thother day, I felt like a small child speaking up to a grown-up.

Ever felt like that?


No comments:

Post a Comment