Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kidney Memoir Fini - Only at Ada's Outing - Rumpus about the Compass

Sarah emailed me 351 pages of our memoir, beautifully edited. My job was to read it and correct any errors. It took me about six hours. I always work upstairs in the study. The desktop computer is slower but more reliable than my living room laptop, where I've lost many a sacred paragraph.

Before bed at about 3:30 a.m, I went on my stationery bike  where I pedaled w eyes closed for 15 minutes so I would have near-normal blood sugar in the morning.

While en bike, I watched "Super Brain With Dr. Rudy Tanzi." Tanzi is a preeminent Alzheimer's researcher, who, with his team, discovered some genes for this terrible disease that has captivated America. The disease is a form of dementia.


Call me Rudi.  Rudolph Tanzi, PhD.

Tanzi had us do a few exercises to create new brain cells - neurogenesis. I can't remember a single one.

After tumbling exhausted in bed, I remembered I'd forgotten to take phone off hook. And paid for it by being awoken at 8:20. I helped my client and then slept with the phone and woke up at 9:30, feeling great!

Oh no! I've just finished my bowl of p'nuts and must get up once again.

NO! I'm controlling myself. Good girl.

 

The Hitchcock film stars Hannibal Lechter and Inspector Jane Tennison. In other words, Anthony Hopkins, age 75, and Helem Mirren, who is 67. That's Scarlett Johansson who plays Janet Leigh in Psycho.

Great movie, lots of fun watching it. It's from a book called Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho. I'd say ole Hitch, who was 60 when he made the film, underwent a nervous b'down, trying to get the movie together. Only when his wife Alma was fully on board did the film coalesce. They were partners. His obsessions with his gorgeous blond actresses were addressed, rather humorously, in the movie.

Kim Novak, the star of one of the greatest films of all time - Vertigo by Hitchcock - is happily retired up in Oregon, where she's become an artist.

"Horse Heaven" is one of the paintings by Kim Novak on display through June 24 at the Old Mint in San Francisco. Photo: Kim Novak / SF

Horse Heaven. Painting helps Novak when she's down. She has bipolar d/o.

For Ada's Outing, we ate at Phil's Tavern, always a pleasure. The room was packed. We sat near the fireplace. I was hot and shedding my layers, while across the table people were cold. Sort of like how meds work. Very individual.

Barbara works at Citizens Bank. I told her about the robbery at the TD in Hatboro. I asked her how they trained people to respond to robbers.

Give them everything they want, she said.

However, they also give the robber "the red-dye money," which explodes in their faces after they leave the bank. The dye doesn't come out for days.

Hmmm, I wondered, wouldn't it make the robber so mad he'd come back and shoot em all?

We took a couple cars to the Ambler Theater,

where patrons and donors have contributed to new Digital Cinema. There's no projector up in the famous projector room.

What's up there now? A phantom?

Before entering the movie palace, I walked up n down Butler Ave to work off my chocolate pudding



Many old buildings still stand.

Keasbey and Mattison Company was a manufacturing company that produced asbestos and related building products before being purchased by Turner & Newall in 1934. The company was founded in 1873 by Henry G. Keasbey, a businessman, and Dr. Richard V. Mattison, a chemist/pharmacist. The company originally manufactured and marketed patent medicines before focusing on asbestos and related building products.[1]
Mattison moved the company from Philadelphia to Ambler, Pennsylvania, in 1881.[2]

Asbestos and related building products soon became the focus of the company.
Keasbey and Mattison became the dominant employer of the town of Ambler and had a major impact on it. Mattison built an estate he named Lindenwold, which had a design based on Windsor Castle.[1] He also built many homes for the company's workers and executives. He founded a library and built an opera house, offices and shops.

Lindenwold, now St Mary's Villa for Children

Ah, back to the real world. Here's Shelly Quigley before we enter Hitchcock. When we exit Shelly will not be able to find her car keys.

I'll leave you in suspense, the way The Master did in his movies.

Ellen, is that you? Why doesn't it look like you? Shelly has removed items from her pocketbook in search of her keys.

Ellen said that Ada's hair looked particularly b'ful today. I told Ellen I had saved $120 by dying my hair with Clairol Nice n Easy 112.

Ah, all the things I can buy. I'm saving up for something special.

Shall I buy.....






Two of the above are items from the movie.

Okay, so with the Kidney Memoir finished, now I've gotta work on the Compass.

When does the Compass come out, asked David Kime, founder/editor of Transcendent Vision.

Whenever it's finished, I said.

Oh! I almost forgot.

Shelly and I discussed a bumper sticker that would read:

Mental Health Awareness.


She loved the idea. How about you?

Always a gentleman, Rich walked Shelly and Brandy down Butler Pike to where Shelly had parked her car.

The car was where it was supposed to be.... still running, nicely heated up for their drive back to Southampton.

How thoughtful of Shelly!

Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster - Front Angle, 2012, 800x600, 1 of 229

No comments:

Post a Comment