Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Way past my bedtime & gotta get up early

Okay, already, I succumbed to temptation after our New Directions meeting tonite. As I drove down York Road at 10:30, I said to myself, "If I find a place open and it looks like they serve good coffee, I'll go in and get it."

Sure enuf, there was McDonald's, which is sposed to have good coffee. I went thru the drive-thru, amazed by the clever set-up. What a time-saver.

"Can you hear me?" I shouted at the microphone.

"Yes I can," said Ray Kroc.

"Ray, I'd like a black coffee with some fake sugar on the side. That's all."

"That'll be 95 cents," he said.

I was shocked! I wouldn't go broke. I paid and asked if he accepted tips. I was gonna give him a dollar cuz the coffee was so cheap. "We're not allowed, to," he said. "But thanks anyway."

Then I pulled up to another window to get my coffee and 5 packets of fake sugar.

Driving home, I remembered something very important. I do not drink coffee. I drink DECAF.

When I got home I spilled the entire contents - except for about a quarter of a cup - down the drain and filled it up with boiling water. For my fake sugar that causes cancer in lab rats I picked something called Equal and threw the rest of the packets away.

Then I began my work. Emailed the project I've been working on to my boss. A boss doesn't care about your personal struggles in getting the work to him. All he wants is the work. Can't wait to hear if he likes it or not. It's a 10-page piece of writing for his website.

Then I emailed my bipolar group from this evening a re-cap of what we accomplished and exhorted them to stay in touch between meetings. It was really quite a wonderful meeting. Wish I could talk to someone about it. Maybe I'll go in the backyard and tell the maple tree all about it.

Am listening to David Dye and a repeat of World Cafe on XPN now. He's got a group on called Mumford & Son. They're singing "My Time will Come."

We had a terrific speaker, psychologist Dr Diana Rosenstein. She spoke about Maintaining Good Relationships if you have depression or bipolar disorder. Extremely knowledgeable. Interesting story about how we found her.

Our Joe Moore, who's a salesman at Gerhart's in Glenside, was selling her a refrigerator. He asked what she did for a living. Psychologist, she said and gave Joe her card. Joe is very efficient. Then he calls me up and says he's got a speaker for us. This was actually months ago, so tonite Diana came.

She will definitely go on our Top Doc/Top Therapist list.

As her gift I went to the Giant and bought her a huge amaryllis, which she loved. I am getting a bit tired now or I'd find a photo of an amaryllis to show you.



We had a great turnout at the meeting. I've got the loot in my jacket pocket to take to the bank in the morning before Ada's Outing.

Goggle blogger just changed the color of its posting space. It's a beautiful blue and is so dazzling I can't help but stop and stare at it, imagining swimming on its vast blue lake in a striped blue and white one-piece bathing suit. I haven't swam in two years due to my then-bad back.

As you read this post, altho I suspect no one but Rob will read it - thank you so much Roberto! - I shall be swimming across the lake. As always I begin with the breaststroke and finish up with the backstroke. The water feels wonderful. So warm, so cuddlesome.

Join me!

5 comments:

  1. Your meetngs always sound so good.
    I am doing a miserable job of catching up with my work and with blogs (like yours) that I truly enjoy.

    As for your (imaginary) encounter with Ray Kroc, that really brought a smile to my face! Only you!!

    I never forget I don't drink caffeinated coffee. In fact, I am usually suspicious and even paranoid that someone is serving me coffee with caffeine. I repeatedly embarrass my family by asking over and over, "Are you sure?" I read once that often at restaurants when they don't feel like putting on a new pot just for you, they pour you caffeinated and lie. So I say, "You know. if I go into a fatal arrhythmia it will be on your head"--all with a passive aggressive smile on my face while my family or friends hide under their table napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, a lot of us like you, iris, have a totally different caffeine experience than the other mousekateers do. after i went to bed and closed my eyes, i saw weird designs on my eyelids the way I used to when i was becoming psychotic. i did fall asleep very quickly tho and felt great in the morning. our group had 'ada's outing' which i'll post about later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. iris, i really loved your last poem. you also did a great job reading it out loud. you've got my thumbs-up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ruth. I worked on that one for some time. I haven't gotten much in the way of comments so was beginning to feel insecure.

    By the way, I have often seen weird designs on the eyelids when eyes are closed. Should I be worried? As though I don't have enough other things to worry over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for reassuring me about the weird eyelid designs. i've been off decaf for a day now. i drank it two days in a row. usually i only have it twice a month at my poetry group. i'll give your poem a shoutout in my next blog. how long did it take to write? how many rewrites? i'll take the answer either online or off.

    ReplyDelete