Sunday, November 13, 2011

Compass Fini - Front and Back Covers - Autumn photos - Grace photos

Last nite while editing the Compass I fell asleep on the couch, where I type. I was listening to a Glenn Gould recording of Goldberg Variations and the last variation kept repeating itself over and over. I was stuck, imprisoned by my tiredness and my fever, and couldn't move.

Today I corrected all the edits and finished by lunchtime. The front cover is all set: a woman and her horse. But I can't find anything for the back cover. Two prior ideas fizzled out.

Something autumnal would be nice. Here's some photos I took.

Although it's November, the leaves on the backyard maple are still green.

I kinda liked the wheelbarrow with the fallen leaves.

Took this from the back of Scott's yard. It's the little buffer zone between the houses on Cowbell and the industries on Davisville Road. This spot is also, we think, where the fox lives.

I like this picture of my front steps.

I didn't feel like making lunch so I went to Flori's and got a tuna sandwich for $4.99. The woman doesn't make any money. If I were a high-paid consultant, the first thing I'd tell her is raise your prices.

The whole wheat bread was stale. It should've been toasted. While there, I was thinking, Where should I go to take a really great autumn photo. Lake Galena would be my first choice but it's 45 minutes away.

Then it hit me: the man-made lake with the swans. It was five minutes away.

I learned about the lake five years ago from a guy named Brian, don't know his last name. He was not quite 30 years old and was dying of a brain tumor. He used to take his son Jaiden down to the lake. I could title the photo Remembering Brian. He had a top-notch oncologist but there was nothing they could do to stop the cancer. Unless God interceded on Brian's behalf, the man is long gone.

The following photos of Grace may mislead you into believing my grand-daughter stays nice and quiet in the living room. (Or, dans le living, as we say en francois.) Don't for a moment believe it. First thing she does upon entering the house is goes for the stairs. She'll climb up, but doesn't know how to get down.

Next she heads for my CD-radio and begins to operate it, usually choosing an obscure country n western station w/twangy music. Then she slides all my CDs on the floor. Since we have some toys here for her, we bring em out, but to no avail. It's the 'real things' she goes for.
Headless Bubby in her tie-dyed pants she got at the shore for $5. Com-feeee!

Hmmm, what's that funny smell?

I think the phone's for you, Bubby. (It's actually a calculator that she believes is a phone.)

What a pretty yellow sweater, Grace! No kidding. It used to be your mom's? Knitted by Grandma Young? And then was worn by lots of cousins? Well, those hand-made knitwear sure last a long time.

Fashion statement: peasant blouse worn with cardigan on top. Wave bye-bye but do come back soon.

Naptime! You know how I love to nap while watching a good movie. Well, the movie selections on Channel 17 were Silence of the Lambs, following by the sequel Hannibal.

Why was I unable to fall asleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment