Friday, November 11, 2011

Feverish Ruthie - Diabetes tips - Movie time

My favorite TV show is currently The Rifleman w/ Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford. Superb acting and storyline. Back to back half-hour episodes appear on channel 69.3, if you don't have cable. Due to the awkward time, I've gotta quickly go downstairs, inject insulin and make my dinner.



Since I can't stand 'bought bread' I make my own with all whole wheat flour which I may mix with rye flour. This bread has molasses and cinnamon in it. I use this 'saw' to cut very thin slices. Bot it at a street fair in Ocean City.

Had an appt. w/Mary Ann Moylen at the Giant b/c I was having bad blood sugar readings. She helped me immensely.

Protein protein protein, she told me.

I had a high reading for breakfast when I went to see her. I had my usual egg medly w/veggies and a small sweet potato for starch.

What I should've done, she told me, was to eat two eggs instead of one and it would've balanced out the starch.

Ya got that into your thick head now, Ruthie?

My readings were very high today for a different reason, the worst reason of all: a fever.

When I went to bed last nite, I was visibly shivering. It was rigor again, but it didn't occur to me until I woke up with a fever.

It was 100.5. Only .5 more points and I'd need to check in at Einstein. The fever broke by 2 pm, a favorite theme of The Rifleman. In the past two weeks, Lucas McCain's son, Mark, had two fevers that nearly killed him. His mom had died when he was about 5 and he actually saw her in his feverish state and he so wanted to join her in the afterlife. She told him his dad needed him more than she did.

I was so exhausted this morning I stayed in bed sleeping off n on until about 11. Phone off hook, of course. I was expecting a call from Dr David Abel, psychiatrist, for his minor corrections of the Ask the Doctor column he dictated over the phone for the Compass.

I learned so much from this brief two-page article. And you will too when the Compass is published.

When I poked my head out the door to see the beautiful fall foliage, I felt so lousy from fever, I went right back in again.

Got a great flick out of the lib. "Landmarks of Early Film." My writing teacher Rich Bank told our class last nite that today anyone can write a film review or a book review.

Sure enuf, the jacket liner read: Editorial Review from Amazon.com. "A magnificent collection for anyone interested in the earliest days of film history, this compilation spans the years from 1886 to 1913." It features Edison Kinestoscope films (1894-96)....the magical movies of French special effects pioneer Georges Melies [a favorite of Martin Scorcese].

Films including documentaries, comedies, police chases, romances, fantasies - would you believe a trip to the moon? - each masterfully done.

Here are some scenes I snapped off my laptop.

The San Francisco earthquake of 1906.

Women in foreground moving in carefully to survey the quake's devastation and fires.

An early aviation pioneer named Samuel Franklin Cody is getting his plane out of the hangar. It will not be a successful day for Cody. I believe this is from 1912. A year later when his plane disintegrated in mid-air, he gave up his quest.

High hopes for Cody and Co.

The plane was barely off the ground when it crashed back to earth.

All the Compass stories are ready to go. Next I've gotta put them in order. There are about 16 stories.

The only magazine I subscribe to is Diabetes Forecast which I read cover to cover, tearing out the pop-out cards for products, and scattering them across the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment