Friday, August 19, 2011

Wanted: A Crepe Myrtle before the end of summer - Flori's Restaurant / Poem: Before Pinsky Went On

These socks were made for walking. That's my pot of basil within easy reach on the front porch.

It's tough naming each blogpost.

Here's a few samples:

- What's the point of having a gardener if he cuts down your peony bush, your astilbe, your groundcover, and leaves in the voracious weeds that are taking over my.....oh no!.....they've just come inside and and are coming closer and closer an.....

- Dedicated to my friend Stephen Weinstein

- Movie-mania: Play Misty For Me (first movie directed by Clint Eastwood) - the BBC's Inspector Lynley series, just fantastic! - Curb Your Enthusiasm w/ Larry David, seeing the first six or so is quite enuf, thank you. My shame-and-humiliation tolerance level is burned out by then, tho Scott keeps on laffing.

Yesterday was spent trying to get a New Directions member, who is suffering every minute of the day, a psychiatric consultation. Luckily we keep a Top Doc list, so I went thru it, and called up doctor's offices.

The worst experience was when I called the answering service for Arlene Bennett. I stated the rather lengthy problem to the service, after which she said, The doctor 'will be away' until the 22nd. Look, g'dammit, smart people interrupt and cut to the chase.

What finally happened is the guy checked himself into the hospital. I did not want this to happen b/c I wanted him to find ONE GOOD DOCTOR who would successfully medicate him.

My new favorite psychiatrist, with whom I communicated, is Dr David Abel.

The photo below is of my young family doctor, The Fox, who has two sons, ages 6 months and 4 yrs old. He met his wife in medical school.

James Foxhall, MD

Jim is definitely the best family doctor I've ever had, with the possible exception of Doctor Doolittle.

While in the waiting room, I learned a couple of things. From their constantly blaring TV, I learned which nail on our hand grows the fastest.

Before I tell you the answer, look at your hands, including your thumb.

Which is the fastest growing?

1 2 3 4 5 ?

It is 3.

Read Ebony mag. The most interesting article I read was about wealthy black men dating. How to find someone who wasn't after their money. Out of necessity and to keep shallow, materialistic women out of their lives, they wouldn't reveal their wealth.

One guy made himself out to be successful but not rich. On the day of his proposal, he gave his fiancee a huge diamond. He also confessed that in addition to his nice apartment he also had, like, a 23-room mansion.

Saw The Fox today for my post-op visit. We discussed many things.

I showed him a huge black n blue mark where I'd injected insulin and asked why?

You injected into a vein, he said.

I pulled up my shirt and showed him my belly. Are there any there, I asked.

Yes, he said, but DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

That made me feel good.

I told him my blood pressure ran low when Ginger measured it: 104 over 64.

After a chat, we decided to stop my Toprol XR and see what happens. My new kidney is doing such a great job that she's a'controlling my blood pressure like a champ. I'll have to tell Sarah!

In fact, I was feeling so good when I left his office that I stopped at the new Flori's Restaurant at the corner of Old York and Terwood, 5 minutes away from home.

Several years ago a Shell gas station was on the corner.

They're barely making it, tho they've been in the food biz forever.

The food was excellent. Why is it that impaled in our genes is the necessity to try and convert people? Is it just MY genes, or are you like that, too?

Here's Flori (Americanized name for her Roumanian name) making my organic chicken sandwich on a brioche.

I ordered first and then went home to shoot up, then drove back. The book is for my book discussion group.

I still can't think of a title for this post.

Submitted my Back Surgery story to Patch.com. It'll be a huge surprise to Foxhall that his photo will be in it. I told him the picture I was taking was for my blog. (Oh, look! Withholding information like the wealthy black guys!)

I actually didn't think of it till I was driving home.

*
From 1997 to 2000, Robert Pinsky (b. 1940) was poet laureate of the US, and a great one at that.

I heard him read at Bucks County Community College. I've been going thru my poetry files and dug this one out about him, which I rather like.

BEFORE PINSKY WENT ON

Part One

I sat in my seat and watched the others
getting ready for the arrival of the
former poet laureate of the
United States of America,
a grand land, if only for allowing
Pinsky to be their poet and
Robeson to star on black and white stamps.
You can't beat a nation like that!

The thrill of seeing Pinsky in this
dim, poorly lit auditorium was more than
I could bear
so I stood up and stretched my
yellow-sweatered, jeaned self
and walked out for one last smoke,
even though I don't. But this is what
would be considered a last minute
cigarette break if one did smoke.

And as I exited the packed auditorium
and into the dimly lit lobby
with real wood paneling all around
I chanced to come one on one
with the laureate.
I only need a quick look.
A quick touching of eyes.

He was a man
barely taller than I with a
wildness radiating around him
a halo of wildness
his head long
rather like my flawed
brother David's.

And I squinted my eyes and
snorted, you clever girl,
you and your cigarette breaks
that led you to the real thing.
A navy backpack slung across
his arm.

Part Two

When Pinsky was through
and did his namastes to the audience
and no one whooped
and he left
encoreless
I felt there should be a mass jubilation
for the poet
for what he had done for us that particular evening
as well as his fine accomplishments five years prior
in waking up the oblivious world
the sleeping well-kept world of the Suburu and
the SUV and the taking down and
dismantling of even big homes
to put in much larger homes
waking us to poetry and the possibilities inherent
before eternity nails us.

But the audience was chaste
though some looked like poets in scarves. Carolyn and I
saw folks we knew from poetry groups across
two counties. She talked to her poets, I to mine.
One was a poet with such beautiful teeth
I hoped she didn't mind I fell in love with them
and her for a whole three minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment