Friday, August 26, 2011

My adventures at Heilman's Sunoco, Willow Grove PA

This was the traffic on Easton Road heading north.

After the Hurricane has crushed me and my house, you'll have my blog as a keepsake.

Read this important NY Times editorial by Dr Cornel West of Princeton University. This describes America perfectly.

Tell it like it is, Dr. West (and Tavis too)!

Well, of course I needed an oil change today, so off I went to Heilman's Sunoco on Easton Road in Willow Grove.

The place was so busy I parked on a side street.

A couple of PA state troopers. My friend Lou Wentz is a retired Jersey trooper. His girls are cops.

Jim Heilman, owner, is chatting with Father O'Donnell.

Here's my car. Last nite I finally remembered to look on the sticker and saw I was a month overdue for an oil change. I panicked. Don't wanna ruin my car.

I walked down Easton Road in the heat while waiting for the car. Tom told me I had half an hour. I'd worn my walking shoes and socks.

In honor of former boyfriend Russell Eisenman, I took this photo. It's the only way I can get him to read my blog.

Two women who work for elderly people at Regency Towers were waiting for the bus in the shade. The woman from Jamaica (not in photo) said this hurricane is nothing compared to the ones down there.

"We don't close down the whole country," she said, noting that NYC has closed its bridges and subways. That billionaire mayor is pretty smart, methinks. Who wants a legacy like Bush's for Katrina?

Leave it to me to notice Diane's hair. "Is it marcelled?" I asked.

"Yes," she said. Her niece did it. "Touch it. It's real hard."

Sure enough, it was. Her niece is going to the beauty academy.

I told her I might be called by Patch.com to give witness to the storm. So I wrote down her name Diane Armstead-Brown. I told her my dear friend Walter Straus, 93, used to live there. He called just the other day from his new home in Sicklersville, NJ. He plays a mean game of Scrabble.

Here's Father O'Donnell now. He works at the Holy Redeemer Health System. I told him I'd given talks (on bipolar) for Sister Gerry Fitzgerald.

"We're all Irish," he said. I told him I was Jewish and had never seen a priest up close just rabbis.

Actually, that's not true. When I was married and lived in Ossining, NY, I worked as a secretary at Maryknoll Seminary. Father Meehan was my boss. But my favorite was Father Vittengl, who looked like Richard Burton, and had manic-depression.

They would all go into town to the best restaurants. Mike and I used to see them.

Every time you looked out the window at Heilman's, another car was pulling in. Their price was 2.59, I think. I got back in my car to get gas but then came back in the office.

I give up, I said to Jim. It's too busy.

He took my keys and filled up the car.

Good customer service. Just like you get at New Directions. Hmmm, better check the phones and see if my phone greeter has gotten the Friday call.


No comments:

Post a Comment