Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yep! Another Bipolar Talk w/ Bonus Of Sarah's Presence

These easels come in handy to write down what the audience wants to talk about.
The V.I.A. Auditorium at the Wellness Center. Helpful clock in rear.

Seats 100. We had 7 participants at $15 a shot. I get a percentage but can't remember what it is.

Sarah whizzed into town for the weekend. I was pleased when she said she'd accompany me to this Conquering Bipolar Disorder and Depression talk at the beautiful Doylestown Hospital Wellness Center.



Two years ago we filled the auditorium. About 80 people showed up.

This morning there were 7 enthusiastic people there and we got a lot accomplished. People were talking w/ one another and helping each other.

I wrote down everyone's name on a pad so I could remember them. One woman came from our New Directions meeting.

When Sarah and I walked into the building, I saw our host Bruce Uhrich, Ed.D,(anytime you see a "D" it means doctorate)sitting two flights down waiting to check people in.

I squatted and yelled downstairs to him, Well, Bruce, you won't be able to buy any more antique cars from today's proceeds.

I don't think Bruce ever laffs, but I can't be sure. I saw him at a car show w/ some really nice cars including a Checkers cab.

Actually I think Bruce laffed when I said I'm taking an action photo of you.

Sarah took a few shots of me. Whatever you do, don't look at my messy hair or the new chin I'm growing.







I gave personal help or validation to every audience member. One woman, who'd had a manic episode 25 years ago, was on meds and hadn't had another mood swing since then.

Unusual and indicative of the intensely personal nature of the illness.

On the other hand, one young man never has episodes. He's always episodic. Many mood changes per day. I didn't want to say it in front of everyone, but his mood lability (change-ability) is probly indicative of a mild borderline personality d/o.

This can be corrected by good therapy and total awareness of your behavior. Should he come to our group I believe we can help him.

Sarah thought I did a great job.

Quite frankly, Scarlett, I don't know how I know so much.

My first psychiatrist, Alex Glijansky, said it's like I'm pulling index cards out of my head.

While blogging, I fell asleep three times. Took a Percocet two hours ago for intense sciatic pain. In the next blog post you'll read about why the pain is so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment