Thursday, May 19, 2011

Arthur! I went on the wrong nite! / Poem: Song of the Crickets

Yesterday was a long day, a day of flooding and rocks lining the road, a no-nap day, a good-eating day, but hey I still had energy so off I went to the Elkins Park Library for Arthur Krasnow's Poets and Poetry Night.

I was a week early.

And so was well-known local poet Steve Delia, above, who told me the news.

I was crushed. Inconsolable. In utter disbelief I could be so g'damned stupid.

I had written a new poem - Hoedown at the Landfill - and wanted to get the audience's reaction. I wrote it half an hour before showtime, as is my wont, though I got the idea a week ago when I looked in my trash can.

I don't have the nerve to blog "Landfill" so I'll print an old one since my poppies are getting ready to burst.




SONG OF THE CRICKETS

This time last year
as the poppies burst on their stems
the three of us went to Maine.
You could say we took Maine by storm
but that wasn’t quite it, driving up the coast
that never did appear
for the new road swung back too far.
But we knew it was there,
the coast, somewhere.
My son told me later
it was only on my account,
that he and Sarah decided
to come along at all.

I unlocked the door of the motel
and put away our things,
our hairbrush and deodorant,
contact lens case and tour guides,
laying them on the dresser
and television set,
opening the blinds so we could see
what Maine looked like.

It was the dinner hour.

They were ready to start watching
television right away,
as soon as they’d checked the drawers
for things left behind.

There were about a hundred channels up for grabs
and they wanted to go through them all,
all one hundred,
to find a movie that
suited them both,
I was like that once.

They were tired and bleary-eyed.

I put the key in my pocket
undid the chain
and went outdoors into the state of Maine.
A car whizzed by on some road out front,
a road we’d turned onto from the larger road,
the road that never did meet the sea.
So much for picture postcards of
lighthouses and lobsters.

Then I heard it:
the cry of the woods
a trembling rising roar
that soared toward the darkening sky:
a switch turned suddenly on.

I stood at the door,
the white washcloth smell of the room
clinging to my hair.
I listened to what seemed to be
the first crickets I ever did hear -
ancient, spindly, gathering in prayer
from vast empty spaces
impossible to get to,
impossible to find.

I went in to get them,
the boy and the girl,
serene and barefoot,
their hair illuminated by the glow of the screen.
They were watching as two men in a bar
clinked glasses, neckties loosened,
while the two of them, the children,
hooped with their quick, you’ll-see laughter,
a knowledge of plot complications
I never could grasp,
certainly not now,
wanting so bad to break into their blue martini heaven
their barefoot bliss
to tell them of my find,
nothing more than crickets chirping in the field beyond,
crickets chirping in the night.

5 comments:

  1. Oh nice, Ruthie,
    To take a million everyday experiences and breathe such life and originality into them for the reader to see and feel is such a gift.

    My poppies are in bloom now too. Love them. They were here when we moved into the house nearly 33 yrs ago, blooming in profusion and then, due to huge trees and shade, did not come up and I forgot them until a couple of years ago when they re-emerged for us to enjoy!

    Hey, don't beat yourself up about the wrong date. We have all done that at times. Next week you can try again and we can all see your poem when you are ready.

    I had a great two-day getaway to the Hudson Valley. May or may not blog about it. We shall see. Am having a flare of a weird and uncomfortable problem, possibly vascular and possibly not-maybe related to back issues, but it hit while away so dampened things a little but I'll be back. I am like the poppies and so are you. They can't hold us back, you and me, can they ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Just tweeted about your blog. Are you on Twitter? Your readers (if they wish) can catch me at https://twitter.com/coachiris
    (Shameful self-promotion? Only partially but I need all the help I can get because I kind of stink at it and you are welcome to self-promote any time you like on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you and art had a nice get-away. glad you have poppies. many people tell me they wish they had planted them. well, there's still time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was like that, too.

    Nice. Long time since I have heard crickets.

    Still want to read hoedown from the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like that you quoted a line of my poem, bill.

    am i nuts or were you in maine w/i the last year?

    hoedown will be completed by next saturday which is when my poetry group meets. it will be such an extraordinary masterpiece it'll make the headlines of the ny times. count on it, bill, or i'll race in the iditerod. (am i allowed to lie in my own blog?)

    ReplyDelete