Sunday, April 17, 2011

Internet a great help for illness info - I write again

Just read some very helpful blogs by people with diabetes. Below is from DiabetesMine.com



Yesterday I called my new endocrinologist. She promptly returned my two phone calls. Her answering service absolutely sucks.

Every person you talk to about D tells you something different. When Kathy Foley, RN the Visiting Nurse came out, she told me to eat three meals a day plus a bedtime snack.

Dr Nissa Blocher said I didn't have to eat a snack. Good! I don't want to balloon up. My exercise consists mostly of walking from one end of the house to the other and up and down the short flights of stairs, in sciaticagony.

I made a scrumptious dinner for me and Scott.

Sauteed salmon, mushrooms, onions and balsamic vinegar. Salmon had been off-limits to me before I got my new kidney. I served it w/baked sweet potato drowned in olive oil.

Then at 8pm Scott walked to the train station to go to work. There was a fierce thunderstorm and he got soaked to the bone.

I took precautions if the lights went out.

Meantime, I finished up my story on Weinrich's Bakery for Patch.com. It sounded pretty good. You don't really know how your mind is gonna work when you're on 14 new meds plus insulin.

Was reading a Charles Coe poem, gift of the Weinsteins, to company today, and realized I need to learn to adjust my speech.

This also happened when I was on psychiatric meds. They affect your speech center but you can relearn how to speak.



Sarah is doing so well she took the train in from Center City to the Willow Grove train station as in days of yore. Then she walked the 18 minutes down Davisville Road and up the driveway of Keystone Screw, then thru the path that leads to home.

My sister Ellen saw her in the backyard.

Someone's cutting thru the yard, said Ellen.

Yeah, the kids, they always cut through.

No, it's a woman. She's about 40.

Hmmmm.

Next thing I know Sarah is bursting thru the front door!!!



The three Demings were all together just like we were when we were growing up, dad-less. The kids played Scrabble and then we all played Trivial Pursuit.

What's the longest coastline in the world?

Canada.

What's a baby crocodile called?

A croclet.

Dan came over to do some computer work. We're gonna get rid of New Directions' current website and create another one. He'll start working on this in a month. Can't wait!

After a while Nicole and Grace drove over. Nicole had been visiting a cousin in Haddonfield NJ she hadn't seen in 25 years. The whole family welcomed here and Baby Grace who let everyone hold her.



Why do women love babies so much? My friend Russell Eisenman, a psychology professor at Univ of TX - Pan-Am said it's b/c women produce lots of the hormone oxytocin, whereas men produce very little.

I'm sure when a guy becomes a dad he produces more, right Russ?

Luckily I blogged about Russell which reminded me today is his birthday. We can't believe he's in his early 70s.

I was gonna delete the above foto cuz it's blurry but I couldn't bear to.

Everyone was making the baby laugh. It was hysterical. She has a great hooting laff.



While cooing over the baby Sarah said to her, "You're beautiful and you're also strong and intelligent."

Finally it was time to say goodbye. My sister Donna, always a great dresser, as is Sarah, drove them to the 7 pm performance of The Bad Plus at Chris's Jazz Cafe.

Had I not contracted diabetes I would've gone.

Before I took my insulin shot, I prepared dinner: hot dog w/cheese, Chipotle relish and mustard.

I enjoy my food so much I sit and eat it and savor every bite. I don't read or talk on the phone anymore while eating. Steamed kale and carrots and fresh beets prepared by mom.

My blood sugar is gradually coming down. It was the lowest it's been before dinner: 151. Sposed to be around 100.

Am now nearly an expert in sticking myself w/the lancet (gotta remember that name)and then injecting the insulin into my belly.

Went to pick up some diabetic supplies at the Willow Grove Giant yesterday. Bob, one of the pharmacists, a young guy, said his best friend died from diabetes.

They went to prep school together. Keith was studying for a test all nite. I think he forgot to take his insulin and his brother found him dead the next morning, lying face down on the floor.

He was 17.

I was glad Bob told me the story. You always need a horror story to show you what you're up against.

No comments:

Post a Comment